Mechanical Strength of Black Iron Pipe

In summary, if you were to mate a 1 1/4" black iron pipe to a 1 ¼" black iron pipe using a 1 ½" coupling and a bushing reducer, you would need to apply a force of 8 pounds at the end of 20 feet in order to cause one of the parts or connections to fail.
autek
If you were to mate a 1 ½” black iron pipe to a 1 ¼” black iron pipe using a 1 ½” coupling and a bushing reducer, how much bending torque would be needed before one of the parts or connections failed? That is, if you held the 1 ½” black iron pipe in a fixed position and the applied a force to the end of a length of 1 ¼” black iron pipe how large could the load be before failure. In my case I want to apply a load 8 pounds at the end of 20 feet. I have looked on the web and in my copy of Marks but did not find much on the mechanical strength of black iron pipe.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't have any specs, but the threaded ends are going to be your weak point. Also, since that type of pipe is not designed for structural use, you'll probably have to perform your own load tests. I would not use it for anything critical, or anything that may cause injury upon failure.
Just guessing, but I'd expect some major deflection even before hanging eight pounds off of it.

pantaz said:
I don't have any specs, but the threaded ends are going to be your weak point. Also, since that type of pipe is not designed for structural use, you'll probably have to perform your own load tests. I would not use it for anything critical, or anything that may cause injury upon failure.
Just guessing, but I'd expect some major deflection even before hanging eight pounds off of it.

It would be for a tip-over mast for some WX instrumentation in a very rural area away from people and buildings so there is not much risk for injury. In addition the bending moment would be at its worst only when moving it to the horizontal position. The cross sectional area of the instrumentation is not very large so there would not be much torque due to wind loading in the normal upright position. Actually, after talking it over with another person it appears that a better way would be to replace the 1 1/4" pipe with solid 1 3/8” round stock that you could slide several feet into the 1 1/4" pipe which would stiffen the pipe as well as avoid the threads. Based on your comments however, I would also test it with incremental loads first to check the deflection and shorten it some if need be. The 20 foot length is not set in stone. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Its strength can ba accurately calculated by a mechanical engineer. Since it is a simple connected pipe analytical formulations are possible. Computer simulations are also a possible solution.

1. What is the maximum weight that a black iron pipe can hold?

The maximum weight that a black iron pipe can hold depends on several factors such as the diameter, wall thickness, and the type of material used. Generally, black iron pipes can hold a maximum weight of 1000 pounds per linear foot. However, it is important to consult with a structural engineer for more accurate calculations.

2. How is the strength of black iron pipe determined?

The strength of black iron pipe is determined by its yield strength and ultimate tensile strength. Yield strength is the maximum stress that a pipe can withstand without permanent deformation, while ultimate tensile strength is the maximum stress that a pipe can withstand before fracturing. These values are determined through laboratory testing and are typically provided by the manufacturer.

3. What are the advantages of using black iron pipe for structural applications?

Black iron pipe is known for its high mechanical strength, making it a popular choice for structural applications. It is also resistant to corrosion, making it suitable for outdoor use. Additionally, black iron pipe is affordable and readily available, making it a cost-effective option for construction projects.

4. Can black iron pipe be used for high-pressure applications?

Yes, black iron pipe can be used for high-pressure applications, but it is important to select the appropriate size and wall thickness to ensure it can withstand the pressure. It is recommended to consult with a professional engineer to determine the suitable type and size of black iron pipe for high-pressure applications.

5. How can the mechanical strength of black iron pipe be improved?

The mechanical strength of black iron pipe can be improved by using thicker wall pipes or by choosing a higher grade of material. Additionally, proper installation techniques such as using proper fittings and supports can also improve the overall strength of the pipe. It is important to follow industry standards and consult with a professional engineer for the best practices in improving the mechanical strength of black iron pipe.