Mechanical Waves Recorded after an Earthquake

In summary: Thank you.In summary, we can use the equations f=1/T or f=N/t and λ = v/f to solve for the distance of a seismic station from the center of an earthquake, given the transverse and longitudinal wave velocities and the time delay between recording the two types of waves. This involves setting up an equation with the distance (d) as the unknown variable and using algebra to solve for d.
Harli
New poster has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork problems
Homework Statement
A seismic station records the transverse wave 10s after recording the longitudinal wave. Find the distance of the seismic station from the center of the earthquake.

V transverse=300m/s
V longitudinal=500m/s
Relevant Equations
f=1/T or f=N/t
λ = v/f

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: How do speed, distance, and time relate to each other?

Harli said:
Homework Statement:: A seismic station records the transverse wave 10s after recording the longitudinal wave. Find the distance of the seismic station from the center of the earthquake.

V transverse=300m/s
V longitudinal=500m/s
Relevant Equations:: f=1/T or f=N/t
λ = v/f

Let, V transverse be v1 and V longitudinal be v2.
If 'd' is the distance of the seismic station from the center of the earthquake, we have -
d/v1 - d/v2 = 10...solve for d!

raawe said:
Let, V transverse be v1 and V longitudinal be v2.
If 'd' is the distance of the seismic station from the center of the earthquake, we have -
d/v1 - d/v2 = 10...solve for d!
Hi @raawe. Welcome to PF. You have made the same mistake that I did when I arrived here!

If anyone asks for help with homework, they need to show that they have already thought about about the problem. See point 4 in the guidelines: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/homework-help-guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/

So we typically 'steer' people, rather than directly solve their problem. Often that involves a series of questions and answers. That's why @Doc Al replied as in Post #2.

Likes berkeman and Doc Al
Steve4Physics said:
Hi @raawe. Welcome to PF. You have made the same mistake that I did when I arrived here!

If anyone asks for help with homework, they need to show that they have already thought about about the problem. See point 4 in the guidelines: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/homework-help-guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/

So we typically 'steer' people, rather than directly solve their problem. Often that involves a series of questions and answers. That's why @Doc Al replied as in Post #2.
My apologies. I will take from now.

Likes Tom.G, berkeman and Steve4Physics

1. What are mechanical waves recorded after an earthquake?

Mechanical waves recorded after an earthquake are vibrations that travel through the Earth's crust and are detected by seismometers.

2. How are mechanical waves recorded after an earthquake measured?

Mechanical waves are measured using seismometers, which are instruments that detect and record the vibrations caused by an earthquake.

3. What types of mechanical waves are recorded after an earthquake?

There are two main types of mechanical waves recorded after an earthquake: P-waves (primary waves) and S-waves (secondary waves). P-waves are compressional waves that travel through the Earth, while S-waves are transverse waves that can only travel through solids.

4. How do mechanical waves recorded after an earthquake help scientists understand earthquakes?

By studying the characteristics of mechanical waves recorded after an earthquake, scientists can determine the location, magnitude, and other important information about the earthquake. This helps them better understand the structure and behavior of the Earth's crust.

5. Can mechanical waves recorded after an earthquake be used to predict future earthquakes?

No, mechanical waves recorded after an earthquake cannot be used to predict future earthquakes. While they can provide valuable information about an earthquake that has already occurred, they do not have the ability to predict when or where future earthquakes will happen.