Mechanics General Motion in a Straight Line

In summary: Since s = ∫v dt,→ s = ∫(-0.2 t^2 + 50) dt= (-0.2/3)t^3 + 50t + cSince the particle starts from rest, the displacement when t = 0 is 0.→ 0 = (-0.2/3)(0)^3 + 50(0) + c → c = 0So, s = (-0.2/3)t^3 + 50t, which is the correct answer according to the book.
Giiang

Homework Statement

A particle P starts from rest at a point O and moves in a straight line. P has acceleration 0.6t m s−2
at time t seconds after leaving O, until t = 10.
(i) Find the velocity and displacement from O of P when t = 10.
After t = 10, P has acceleration −0.4t m/s^2 until it comes to rest at a point A.
(ii) Find the distance OA.

Homework Equations

v = ∫a dt & s = ∫v dt

The Attempt at a Solution

For (i) v = ∫a dt = 0.3t^2 +c (c=0) = 0.3 x 10^2 = 30 m/s
s = ∫v dt = 0.1t^3 +c (c=0) = .1x10^3 = 100 m

But for (ii) I did the same thing...
a = -0.4t m/s^2
→ v = ∫a dt = -0.2 t^2 + c = -0.2 t^2 +30 because the initial velocity (when t=10s) is 30 m/s. However the answer said it should be 50 m/s? Could anyone explain me that please?

Also s=∫v dt = (-0.2t^3)/3 + 30t +100 (but the answer said -1000/3?)

Physics news on Phys.org
1. are your answers to (i) correct?
2. What are your limits of integration for (ii) and how did you get them?

Giiang said:
→ v = ∫a dt = -0.2 t^2 + c = -0.2 t^2 +30 because the initial velocity (when t=10s) is 30 m/s. However the answer said it should be 50 m/s?
The answer said what should be 50 m/s? The velocity in (i)?

this is the answer sheet:
Screenshot (186).png

That's clearly an error on the answer sheet. The text on the lower right box says taking the initial speed as 30 m/s.
If you care to post your answers to (ii) someone will check them.

Giiang said:

The Attempt at a Solution

For (i) v = ∫a dt = 0.3t^2 +c (c=0) = 0.3 x 10^2 = 30 m/s
s = ∫v dt = 0.1t^3 +c (c=0) = .1x10^3 = 100 m
These should be definite integrals, not indefinite ones. You got away with it here, because one of the limits of integration is 0. However, this is what trips you up on the second part of the problem.

haruspex said:
That's clearly an error on the answer sheet. The text on the lower right box says taking the initial speed as 30 m/s.
It seems okay to me. The initial speed is not 30 m/s, but the speed at [itex]t = 10[/itex], the start of the second part of the problem, is 30 m/s.

tms said:
It seems okay to me. The initial speed is not 30 m/s, but the speed at [itex]t = 10[/itex], the start of the second part of the problem, is 30 m/s.
Yes, the text in the lower right box is correct, and agrees with Giiang's result. But the text in the lower left box says 50 m/s.

haruspex said:
Yes, the text in the lower right box is correct, and agrees with Giiang's result. But the text in the lower left box says 50 m/s.
That 50 comes from the integration in the first part of question ii.
[tex]v(t_F) = v(10) + \int_{10}^{t_F} (-0.4t) dt = 0.[/tex]
Solving that for [itex]t_F[/itex], along the way you get
[tex]v(t_F) = v(10) - 0.2t_F^2 + 20 = 0.[/tex]

Likes 1 person
Alright look, the books answers are right. Your initial conditions and method of solving for (ii) is wrong. Plain and simple. The constant of integration doesn't always equal your initial condition. You need to actually solve for it. that's where the 50 comes in from. It doesn't say the initial velocity is 50, it comes from the fact that v(10)=30 as your initial condition. Plug it in and solve.

Likes 1 person
once again...
BiGyElLoWhAt said:
2. What are your limits of integration for (ii) and how did you get them?

I got it. Thanks!

So,
a = -0.4t m/s^2
→ v = ∫a dt = -0.2 t^2 + c

and it was found in (i) that v(10) = 30
→ 30 = - 0.2 10^2 +c → c = 50

The same goes with displacement.

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is the measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. In other words, speed is a scalar quantity (only magnitude) while velocity is a vector quantity (magnitude and direction).

2. What is the equation for calculating acceleration?

The equation for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. How does friction affect an object's motion on a straight line?

Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, slowing it down. In a straight line, friction can cause an object to slow down or even come to a stop if the force of friction is greater than the object's applied force.

4. Can an object have a constant velocity but changing acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a constant velocity but changing acceleration. This can occur when the direction of the object's velocity changes, but the magnitude (speed) remains the same. This is known as uniform circular motion.

5. How does mass affect an object's motion in a straight line?

Mass is a measure of an object's resistance to change in its state of motion. The greater the mass, the more force is needed to accelerate the object. In a straight line, a larger mass will have a slower acceleration compared to a smaller mass with the same applied force.