Solving Mechanics Question: Find Norm of F

• Thread starter Ed Aboud
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation is about finding the gradient of a central force function and showing that it is equal to the magnitude of the force times the unit vector in the direction of the force. The equation for the gradient of the function is given, but there is uncertainty about how to show the two sides of the equation are equal. Further discussion includes writing out the expression for the two sides of the equation in partial derivative form.
Ed Aboud

Homework Statement

Let [tex] r = \sqrt{x^2 +y^2 +z^2} = \lVert x \rVert _\mathbb{R} _^3 [/tex]
be the Euclidean distance of the point [tex] x = (x,y,z) \in \mathbb{R} ^3 [/tex] from the origin.

And [tex] e_r := \nabla r[/tex]

Let F be a central force , i.e.,

[tex] \underline{F} = - \nabla U(r) [/tex]

for some function [itex] U : \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex]

Show that

[tex]\underline{F} = \pm \lVert \underline{F} \rVert e_r [/tex]

What is [tex]\lVert F \rVert [/tex] ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't really understand what is being asked here.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you write up the gradient for tau in partial derivative notation.
Also do it for the gradient of function U. Take a good look at the "show that" line in this notation and perhaps inspiration will strike!

Ok so you get [tex] \nabla U(r) = ( \frac{\partial }{\partial x}U(r) + \frac{\partial }{\partial y}U(r) + \frac{\partial }{\partial z}U(r)) [/tex]

I'm still not really sure what the question is asking me for.

Thanks again.

Okay, you've got the left side of the equation you are supposed to find.
Now work on the right side, the gradient of that tau = square root(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)

So wait you're saying that [tex]\nabla U(r) = ( \frac{\partial }{\partial x}U(r) + \frac{\partial }{\partial y}U(r) + \frac{\partial }{\partial z}U(r)) = \nabla r [/tex]

Ed Aboud said:
Show that
[tex]\underline{F} = \pm \lVert \underline{F} \rVert e_r [/tex]

I better confess that I don't know how to do this problem.
I just thought you should try writing expressions for the two sides of this thing they are asking you to show, before giving up. Who knows, once you see it written out in partial derivative form, you may see how to show the two sides are equal.

That expression in your last post isn't finished - you have to do the gradient partial derivatives on the right side and also multiply by that magnitude of F (or whatever the double vertical lines around F mean).

Oh ok, well thanks for trying anyway.

Can anyone else help please?

Related to Solving Mechanics Question: Find Norm of F

1. What is the definition of the norm of a vector?

The norm of a vector is a measurement of its size or magnitude. It is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its components.

2. How do you find the norm of a vector?

To find the norm of a vector, you need to calculate the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. This can be represented as ||v|| = √(x^2 + y^2 + z^2), where v is the vector with components x, y, and z.

3. What is the purpose of finding the norm of a vector?

The norm of a vector is used to determine the length or magnitude of a vector. It is also useful in calculating the distance between two vectors and in determining the direction of a vector.

4. Can the norm of a vector be negative?

No, the norm of a vector is always a positive value. This is because it is calculated by taking the square root, which eliminates the possibility of a negative value.

5. How is the norm of a vector related to its unit vector?

The norm of a vector is the magnitude or length of a vector, while the unit vector has a norm of 1 and represents the direction of the vector. The unit vector can be calculated by dividing the original vector by its norm, resulting in a vector with the same direction but a norm of 1.