Mechanics | Suspended ball | Loop The Loop?

In summary: Similarly, if you were to move to the frame where the ball is, the pseudo force would still provide the centripetal force and the ball would still rotate around the hinge point.
dharavsolanki
A ball of mass m is suspended by a thread of length l. With
what minimum velocity has the point of suspension to be shifted
in the horizontal direction for the ball to move along the circle about
that point? What will be the tension of the thread at the moment it
will be passing the horizontal position?

Was trying my hand at this Physics Puzzle! Got no idea how to start and where to start. Don't feel like this question has got anything to do with "Home work help".

Physics news on Phys.org
OK. I see no discussion going on round here. Maybe i can give some inputs which others can build up on.

I initially thought in terms of a pseudo force, but it doesn't take much time to realize that there is no acceleration involved.

The support end is constantly moving, so the string moves along with and so does the ball with the string. Now, because of this, the string has to be tense, and plus at an incination. Maybe because of this, there's an unbalanced component of the tension that cause this motion?

I may have not solved the problem with this thought but maybe ou guys could actually build up on this!

Hi dharavsolanki,
Okay. Let's see what they've given us to work with.
1// For minimum velocity to complete a vertical circle, the tension in the thread can die out to zero, and the centripetal accn. can be provided for by the weight force.

2//We have a thread. When you push a thread inwards, it doesn't push you back, it just buckles.

3// You have already realized there is no pseudo force involved. Imparting velocity to the ball would be equivalent to imparting velocity to the ball.
Imagine there are two observers. One of them sitting on the ball and the other sitting in the frame where the hinge point is stationary.

When the ball is imparted velocity in the lab frame, the ball will see the hinge point moving backwards.

What do you think you can do from here?

i feel it's a simple problem where in we have to calculate the minimum velocity to be imparted to a simple pendulum bob so that it completes a circle. Nice.

OK. another question. does this minimum velocity depend on what has been moved? i mean, whether it is the point of suspension or the bob itself? in other words, does the frame mean something?

dharavsolanki said:
i feel it's a simple problem where in we have to calculate the minimum velocity to be imparted to a simple pendulum bob so that it completes a circle. Nice.

Very good. :smile:

OK. another question. does this minimum velocity depend on what has been moved? i mean, whether it is the point of suspension or the bob itself? in other words, does the frame mean something?

Imagine sitting on the bob. The pseudo force you mark on the hinge point will provide the centripetal force for the bob. In this frame, the hinge will rotate around you.

1. How does a ball stay suspended in a loop the loop?

As the ball moves through the loop, it has both potential and kinetic energy. The potential energy, which is a result of the ball's position in the loop, is greatest at the top of the loop. As the ball moves down the loop, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, allowing the ball to maintain its speed and stay suspended.

2. What factors affect the ball's ability to complete a loop the loop?

The main factors that affect the ball's ability to complete a loop the loop are its initial speed, mass, and the size of the loop. The ball must have enough speed and momentum to overcome the force of gravity and maintain its motion through the loop. Its mass also plays a role in this, as a heavier ball will require more force to maintain its motion. The size of the loop also affects the ball's ability to complete it, as a larger loop will require less force to overcome gravity.

3. Why does a ball sometimes fail to complete a loop the loop?

If the ball does not have enough initial speed or momentum, it will not be able to overcome the force of gravity and complete the loop. Additionally, if the size of the loop is too small or the mass of the ball is too heavy, it may not have enough force to maintain its motion through the loop. Friction and air resistance can also play a role in the ball's failure to complete the loop.

4. How does gravity affect a ball in a loop the loop?

Gravity is the main force acting on the ball in a loop the loop. It is responsible for pulling the ball towards the center of the Earth and is the force that the ball must overcome to complete the loop. As the ball moves through the loop, gravity is constantly acting on it, but the ball's momentum and speed allow it to maintain its motion and stay suspended.

5. What are some real-world applications of the mechanics behind a suspended ball in a loop the loop?

The mechanics behind a suspended ball in a loop the loop can be seen in amusement park rides, such as roller coasters and loop-de-loops. It is also used in some sports, such as skateboarding and BMX biking, where athletes perform stunts involving loops. This concept is also applied in engineering and physics experiments to demonstrate the effects of momentum, gravity, and energy conservation.