Mechanism of Einsteins equation

• Thread starter scihifi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanism
In summary, the question of what conditions lead to the conversion of mass into energy and vice versa through Einstein's equation remains unanswered. There are arguments that mass is the condensed form of energy, but this oversimplifies the concept. In nuclear fusion and fission, binding energy is released, but no actual particles are converted to energy. However, matter and anti-matter particles can anihilate each other to produce EM radiation, and in the presence of a strong electric field, EM radiation can give rise to particle anti-particle pairs.
scihifi

Homework Statement

What is the exact mechanism through which mass converts into energy and vice versa through Einstein's equation.In other words,what are the conditions under which this transformation happens and why?

Homework Equations

E=m.c^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Some argue that mass is the condensed form of energy so my question is invalid.
I think it's valid even then.The question says "What are the conditions (and why these conditions only) under which this condensed form of energy converts into its free (usual) form and vice-versa?"
I don't know the answer that's why I am curious to it.I have asked many people, even my teachers, but couldn't get a satisfactory answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
To say mass is a condensed form of matter is really oversimplifying. A single electron cannot convert itself into energy (photons) since that would violate any number of laws, conservation of charge, spin, lepton number etc. An electron-positron pair can since they can form a combination which in which these quantities can be conserved by the resulting radiation. Matter is not just an amorphous blob of condensed energy. It has rules of its own.

"What are the conditions (and why these conditions only) under which this condensed form of energy converts into its free (usual) form and vice-versa?"

I emphasize what Dick has said - matter is not condensed energy.

In nuclear fusion and fission, no actual particles are converted to energy. It is binding energy that is released.

However, matter and anti-matter particles can anihilate each other to produce EM radiation. In the presence of a strong E field, EM radiation can give rise to particle anti-particle pairs.

1. What is the mechanism behind Einstein's equation?

The mechanism behind Einstein's equation, also known as the famous E=mc^2 equation, is the relationship between mass and energy. It states that mass and energy are interchangeable, and that the amount of energy contained in a system is equal to its mass multiplied by the speed of light squared.

2. How did Einstein come up with his equation?

Einstein's equation was a result of his theory of special relativity, which he developed in 1905. He realized that the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames of reference and that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers. This led him to the conclusion that mass and energy are equivalent and can be converted into one another.

3. What is the significance of Einstein's equation?

Einstein's equation revolutionized our understanding of the universe by showing that mass and energy are interconnected. It has many practical applications, such as in nuclear power and nuclear weapons, and it also plays a crucial role in modern physics, including the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics.

4. Can Einstein's equation be applied to everyday situations?

While the equation is mostly associated with complex scientific theories, it can be applied to everyday situations as well. For example, the equation can help explain why nuclear reactions release a tremendous amount of energy, why stars shine, and even how the sun produces energy to sustain life on Earth.

5. Are there any limitations to Einstein's equation?

While Einstein's equation is highly accurate and has been extensively tested, it does have limitations. It does not apply to objects with infinite mass or objects traveling at the speed of light. Additionally, it does not account for the effects of gravity, which are described by Einstein's theory of general relativity.