Who is Responsible for a Surprise Medical Bill?

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Medical
In summary, the speaker went to a plastic surgeon for a procedure and was informed of the cost by the insurance company. However, they later received a bill for $600 and are questioning their responsibility for the remaining amount. The speaker believes the medical office is trying to take advantage of them and suggests they should talk to the insurance company. The speaker also shares a personal experience with a similar situation. They advise the speaker to contact their insurance company for clarification.
leroyjenkens
Hello. I went to the plastic surgeon last year to have a procedure done. He told me what he would do and I waited a few months for my insurance company to respond to the surgeon office's inquiry to find out how much I would be paying and how much the insurance company would be paying. I found out I would pay $200, and the insurance company would pay the rest.
I had the procedure done and paid the $200.

Months later I receive a bill in the mail for $600 from that procedure. If that is money that the insurance company didn't pay, am I responsible for it? If the insurance company agreed to pay all but $200, but then reneged on the deal, then that has nothing to do with me, right? Because I'm going to tell the doctor's office that they need to talk to the insurance company and try to get the money from them, because I'm not paying it. We had a three way agreement for how much I would pay. If I knew it would cost me $800, I wouldn't have had the procedure in the first place.

The way I figure it, they're just coming after me for the money, because they think it will be easier to get the money from me instead of the insurance company.

Or are agreements like this tentative? If I have a procedure that costs a million dollars, and the insurance company agrees to pay 99% of it, but then later decides to pay 0% of it, am I just ruined for the rest of my life by being in debt a million dollars? That makes absolutely no sense to me.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Welcome to medical care in America (I assume you're in the US). I've seen this happen before. I think medical offices send out bills like this and hope you pay. If you pay, great. If not, all they're out is a few letters. Tell them you paid your share and they need to talk to your insurance company if they aren't happy.

I once had a medical office send me a bill for a procedure I had already paid for. When I refused to pay, they sent it to a collection agency who started sending me threatening letters. I sent the medical office a letter with a copy of the canceled check and told them if they didn't stop harassing me I would hire a lawyer. They shut up.

leroy, we don't know anything about your medical insurance. You need to call them. Thread closed.

What is medical bill responsibility?

Medical bill responsibility refers to the financial obligation an individual has for paying their medical expenses. This includes payments for services such as doctor visits, hospital stays, and prescription medications.

Who is responsible for paying medical bills?

The person who received the medical services is ultimately responsible for paying the bills. However, in some cases, insurance companies or government programs may cover a portion or all of the costs.

What happens if I can't afford to pay my medical bills?

If you are unable to pay your medical bills, you should communicate with your healthcare provider or hospital to discuss payment options. They may be able to offer a payment plan or financial assistance program.

Can my medical bill responsibility change?

Yes, your medical bill responsibility can change depending on your insurance coverage, the type of medical services you receive, and any negotiated discounts or financial assistance programs that may apply.

What should I do if there is an error on my medical bill?

If you believe there is an error on your medical bill, you should contact your healthcare provider or insurance company to dispute the charges. Keep documentation and records of any communication regarding the error.