1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Physics help

  1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    Hi, I've just graduated form high school and I want to join a medical physics program.
    For math, I've done trigonometry and geometry with intro to calculus. Before this course, I took algebra 1 and 2 including a seperate course of geometry (this is an u.s. curriculum). I also took courses in accelerated and enriched physics, as well as honours chemistry, biology and ap biology. Would those courses be sufficient for universities in ontario?

    I want to go to college in ontario, and was wondering what school were best for this program? I only found ryerson and university of toronto that had the specific program... are there any other universities?

    Also, if a specific university did not have such program available, what should i major in?
    Thank you for the help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    Your best best bet if you want to get into medical physics is to go through a general physics program. Engineers (biomedical in particular) as also accepted. Sometimes specialized 'medical physics' undergraduate programs will water down the core physics, and at the end of the day, as a medical physicist, you first and foremost need to be a physicist.
  4. Oct 13, 2009 #3
    what other majors can i take? for some of the universities im applying to i need to state my 'to be major', and i just want to know all my options.
    far as i know,:
    medical physics
    engineering (wte it might be)
  5. Oct 13, 2009 #4


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    From the point of view of someone entering university, I think it's best to try to keep as many doors open as possible. You may want to check out universities that have a first year "science" major - allowing you to take physics, math, chemistry, biology etc. - that then specialize once you get into your second or third year. I know that McMaster and Guelph used to have such systems for example, but that was a while ago.
  6. Oct 14, 2009 #5
    hmm ya, i've heard of places that have a general science major.
    alright, i'll look for places that have a general science major or program.
    Thanks so much! you saved me just in time hahah. I was just about to fill out the forms for my transcript releases to certain universities. Good thing i decided to check in and see if there were anything else before i filled out the forms!
  7. Oct 14, 2009 #6
    One catch though is that CAMPEP seems to be pushing for Physics majors only...just a thought. Chemistry and biomedical engineering work now, but in 4 years, it could be different.
  8. Oct 15, 2009 #7
    is that for the united states or Canada? Because I plan on attending college in Canada and maybe United States for grad school..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Medical Physics help
  1. Medical Physics (Replies: 5)

  2. Medical physics (Replies: 14)