Medical Physics Program in Ontario: Requirements & Options

In summary, the individual is a recent high school graduate interested in pursuing a medical physics program. They have completed courses in math, physics, chemistry, and biology, and are wondering if these courses are sufficient for universities in Ontario, Canada. They are also inquiring about other universities besides Ryerson and University of Toronto that offer this program, as well as potential alternative majors in case a specific university does not have a medical physics program. They are advised to keep their options open and consider universities with a first-year science major before specializing in their second or third year. However, it is noted that CAMPEP is pushing for Physics majors, and this may change in the future. The individual also mentions their plan to attend college in Canada and
alisacbh
Hi, I've just graduated form high school and I want to join a medical physics program.
For math, I've done trigonometry and geometry with intro to calculus. Before this course, I took algebra 1 and 2 including a separate course of geometry (this is an u.s. curriculum). I also took courses in accelerated and enriched physics, as well as honours chemistry, biology and ap biology. Would those courses be sufficient for universities in ontario?

I want to go to college in ontario, and was wondering what school were best for this program? I only found ryerson and university of toronto that had the specific program... are there any other universities?

Also, if a specific university did not have such program available, what should i major in?
Thank you for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your best best bet if you want to get into medical physics is to go through a general physics program. Engineers (biomedical in particular) as also accepted. Sometimes specialized 'medical physics' undergraduate programs will water down the core physics, and at the end of the day, as a medical physicist, you first and foremost need to be a physicist.

what other majors can i take? for some of the universities I am applying to i need to state my 'to be major', and i just want to know all my options.
far as i know,:
medical physics
physics
chemistry
engineering (wte it might be)

From the point of view of someone entering university, I think it's best to try to keep as many doors open as possible. You may want to check out universities that have a first year "science" major - allowing you to take physics, math, chemistry, biology etc. - that then specialize once you get into your second or third year. I know that McMaster and Guelph used to have such systems for example, but that was a while ago.

hmm ya, I've heard of places that have a general science major.
alright, i'll look for places that have a general science major or program.
Thanks so much! you saved me just in time hahah. I was just about to fill out the forms for my transcript releases to certain universities. Good thing i decided to check in and see if there were anything else before i filled out the forms!

One catch though is that CAMPEP seems to be pushing for Physics majors only...just a thought. Chemistry and biomedical engineering work now, but in 4 years, it could be different.

is that for the United States or Canada? Because I plan on attending college in Canada and maybe United States for grad school..

Related to Medical Physics Program in Ontario: Requirements & Options

1. What is a medical physics program and what does it involve?

A medical physics program is a specialized academic program that focuses on the application of physics principles and techniques to the field of medicine. It involves coursework in areas such as radiation therapy, diagnostic imaging, and radiation safety, as well as hands-on training in clinical settings.

2. What are the requirements for admission to a medical physics program in Ontario?

The specific requirements vary depending on the university, but generally, applicants must have a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, such as engineering or mathematics. They must also have a strong understanding of math and science, as well as relevant lab experience. Many programs also require the completion of the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).

3. Are there any specific prerequisites for a medical physics program in Ontario?

Yes, most programs require applicants to have completed specific courses in physics, mathematics, and biology at the undergraduate level. Some programs may also require coursework in chemistry, computer science, or anatomy and physiology.

4. What are the career options for graduates of a medical physics program in Ontario?

Graduates of a medical physics program in Ontario can pursue various career paths, including working as a clinical medical physicist in a hospital or cancer treatment center, conducting research in academia or industry, or working in radiation safety and regulatory agencies. Some may also choose to pursue further education and training to become specialized in a specific area of medical physics.

5. Are there any specific accreditation requirements for a medical physics program in Ontario?

Yes, the medical physics program must be accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Physics Education Programs (CAMPEP) in order for graduates to be eligible for certification through the Canadian College of Physicists in Medicine (CCPM). This accreditation ensures that the program meets high standards for education and training in medical physics.