Meet Evo: Biweekly Series on Mentors & Regenerative Medicine Advances

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evo Mentor
In summary: I've been a bit more selective. I will have an animal in my home, but it will be a rescue. I'm not a "pet person" per se, I like my animals to be part of the family.
Meet a Mentor is a biweekly (twice a week) series to help you get to know your wonderful Mentors better.

Constructive questions and comments are welcome!

Today we meet: EvoCan you give us a brief bio?
I've been in love with science as long as I can remember. As soon as I began to read I gravitated toward books about science and the mysteries of the world. I would be given those "answer books" that taught things such as the tensil strength of a spider's silk compared to steel. Just fascinating little blurbs. Remember, when I was little, there was no cable tv or internet. The tiny branch library was miles away, and the librarian was always taking the book I was interested in away and walking me back to the children's section.

Luckily my mom realized I wanted more science and bought two sets of encyclopedias and sets of books about science, biology, archaeology and astronomy. I read all of them. Finally for my 12th birthday I got my subscription to Scientific American, with it came two books, one was titled "The physics of phenomena" IIRC. I was hooked on physics after that.

I had a microscope and would make my own slides. I also had a telescope, and would go to the planetarium often.

To make a long story short, I finished High School at age 14, decided to go to France and visit my mom's family, returned to the US and began college at age 16. My dad was paying for my college and living expenses and he said no to anything in the sciences (I loved both cosmology and archaeology), so he picked out my courses, business.

Along the way, I voluntered at a radio station and our radio tower got bombed by the KKK, Arlo Guthrie was playing on the air when the bombing occurred, so a popular PBS show, The Great American Dream Machine, asked him to write a song about the bombing. They placed me next to Arlo for the tv show and I got to sing the "Bomb Song".

What do you find interesting about gardening and do you have a favorite plant?
Watching plants putting out new life just filled me with amazement. Seeing a seed put forth a new plant, or a dormant tree that seemed lifeless putting out new leaves and flowers. I loved it I started growing everything. I ordered rare seeds and had a nice greenhouse. I used to be a member of both the American Rose Society and the local chapter, I had over 80 bushes. I lived in the south, so we could have roses blooming on Christmas day due to the very short dormant period. I went a bit crazy and planted in "themes", I had Bob Hope planted next to Bing Crosby, Ginger Rogers next to Fred Astaire, etc. I won some landscaping competitions and it's something I've always had a passion for.

You're known to be a fan of chocolate. Dark or Milk and why? Favorite flavor?
Dark. There is no other. Do not come near me with wimpy, milky impersonations. I love the bittersweet type, I'm not a lover of sweets.

What are your favorite books?
As a child I read all of the great science fiction books and short stories. Heinlein, Bradbury, Asimov, Anderson, I had quite a collection. As I got older, I got into Fantasy - Jordan, Eddings, Feist, Weis and Hickman, Terry Brooks. Loved Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson.

I'm also a huge ancient history buff. I love to travel and I have been to Mexico, Europe, Japan and Thailand. I am fascinated by other cultures.

TV shows?
Every tv show I get into gets canceled. Right now I'm enjoying "Elementary". Mostly I watch cooking shows and science documentaries, although the quality of the latter has decreased to the point where it's more about special effects with some so-so science tossed in.

Music?
I was brought up on classical music and my elementary school had a program that would take children to listen to the local symphony orchestra on Saturdays. In my teens my taste was underground music and now it's Indie. I love the 69 love songs set by the Magnetic Fields.

Foods?
My mother was from France, so just about everything we ate was fresh and homemade. My paternal grandmother was British, so roast beef and yorkshire pudding on Sunday was a must. Cooking has always been a passion of mine. I remember when I was eight and made my own pyhllo dough for baklava. That's when I discovered why no sane person makes their own phyllo, but the baklava was incredible. I've won every cooking contest I've entered, so it's nice to know that others, besides friends and family, enjoy my food.

Animals?
I love animals, I used to donate quite a bit when I had more money. Since the loves of my life Dr Foofer and The Fruit Bat passed away, I decided to take in a senior chihuahua rescue. It turned out she's also a special needs dog with serious heart and lung problems. So I dote on the cranky little love dog.

As the leader of the PF Sisterhood, can you fill us in on it's philosophy and recent activities?
The PF sisterhood started when Ivan Seeking's wife Tsu and I realized how much alike we were. (Although she's much funnier) We obviously had been separated at birth. Soon, more sisters were brought in (the women of GD) and the requirement was everyone had to wear a size 8 shoe, (except Tsu, size 6 and then lisab size 9). After I went through a couple of doomed attempts at a relationship, I decided to "get me to a nunnery" and the other sisters all decided to become nuns to support me. Of course, we became the infamous gang "The Nuns With Guns".

What do you think is special about PF and why do you continue to mentor?
When I first started searching for information on string theory, it seemed PF had the best discussions and the most knowledgeable people. I knew this was a place where I could learn and that didn't allow crackpottery, which is what I wanted. The people here were a notch above those I found at other forums that were open to the public, I never left.

Do you have a favorite thread at PF?
The Kitten Thread! Can't have a bad day if you visit the Kitten Thread!

Over the years what are some of your favorite moments in General Discussion?
There are so many. I suggest people check out the GD Classics here.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=42220 The New Year's Eve when we all made cartoon videos was hilarious. Those were awesome, but they all got deleted by the hosting service when they upgraded. The "thread killer's thread" was probably the the most long term fun we've had. It was the right mix of people at the right time. Magic happened.

Is there a recent development in science/tech that excites you?
Regenerative medicine. The advancements in biological scaffolding for tissue engineering. The fact that we will be able to "custom grow" replacement parts for the body is fascinating.Thanks for participating Evo! Next interview will be posted next Thursday!

Likes pinball1970 and gracy
Physics news on Phys.org
Graduated at 14? Ugh, puts me to shame.

Me too. I was 27.

Here's my greenhouse. The roses shown were first year. Second year they were over 6 feet tall and my Chrysler Imperial bush had over 60 huge ultra fragrant blooms at once. I can't find a picture of my rose beds.

attachment.php?attachmentid=56966&d=1363899888.jpg

Attachments

• greenhouse3za.jpg
    greenhouse3za.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,486
Likes yucheng, Stephanus and interhacker
Greg Bernhardt said:
Meet a Mentor is a biweekly (twice a week) series to help you get to know your wonderful Mentors better.

Constructive questions and comments are welcome!

Today we meet: Evo

Can you give us a brief bio?
Along the way, I voluntered at a radio station and our radio tower got bombed by the KKK

:bugeye:

Do you ever feel that the universe is out to get you?

-------------------------
ps. I took today off and got my DSL back on. Whoo Hoo! Have been wanting to ask Integral and Doc Al questions also, but without internet, I'm a week behind.

OmCheeto said:

Do you ever feel that the universe is out to get you?
I didn't mention that after we got back on the air, I was sitting at the front desk, directly across from the elevator, when a bomb threat was called in saying there was a bomb in the elevator. Turns out it was a contraption made of parts of our tower that was bombed.

Last edited:
Good to know you Evo!

Evo said:
When I first started searching for information on string theory, it seemed PF had the best discussions and the most knowledgeable people. I knew this was a place where I could learn and that didn't allow crackpottery, which is what I wanted. The people here were a notch above those I found at other forums that were open to the public, I never left.

Our PF Join Dates are just 15 days apart. And string theory was my curiosity back then also. Brings back memories of selfadjoint.
He is the one who introduced me to PF back when he posted to the Superstringtheory.com site when it was up.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1273247&postcount=14

Greg, I would keep an eye out on this "innocent" PF Sisterhood (more like PF Coup-sterhood, as far as I'm concerned). To the obliviously ignorant, who choose not to take notice of our impending destruction:

1.) The Sisterhood (which will hereby be referred to as "The Sisters of Doom d'état," or SOD) has strategically placed its members in positions of high ranking within the forum. Nary a member of SOD will be found to be a pitiful, rank-less member of this forum, but instead will have either earned some form of power over other members, or, in the case that the previous tactic is unachievable, will marry someone who does possesses power and high standing within the forum.

2.) They are, have been, and will continue, to recruit more members to increase their power. There is power in having high status, but there is also power in numbers. What better way to over-run a forum than to have most of the forum under your control?

- 2a -​
In order to achieve higher numbers in their standing, they have slightly lessened their requirements for entrance into SOD. Primary examples of this are Lisab and Tsu's admittance into the Sisterhood. For a rather convincing parallel, I recommend you look at Hitler's nationality; he was not originally German, yet controlled the entire German nation by promoting strong nationalism. Nor are Lisab and Tsu size 8 shoe wearers, yet they are attempting to control this forum.​

3.) Evo's interests reveal a dark plan which will undoubtedly be unveiled after a successful overthrowing of the forum; upheaval is not an action carried out by the contented, but by the discontented and angry. Evo's strict restrictions for entrance into SOD (some requirements rely entirely upon phenotypical traits) and her interest in biology suggests that she and the Sisterhood will attempt some type of eugenic movement, which will oust those who caused their discontent, and will breed a new generation of PF'ers akin to their preferences.

And so, to the unwary and the watchful, to the skeptical and the believers, and to the passive and attentive, I warn you all of what is to come. We haven't much time, but all I can hope for, all anyone can hope for, is that PF will once again remain victorious, and that the imminent rebellion will fail. Spread the word, and remember: what has made us strong will also be what will bring forth our victory, and their defeat.

Godspeed.

• Haha
Likes yucheng
If I join said sisterhood will I be taught how to effectively wear high heels?

Hmmm, seems Antifreeze is onto us. Sisters get ready, you know what to do!

attachment.php?attachmentid=56969&d=1363903954.jpg

WannabeNewton said:
If I join said sisterhood will I be taught how to effectively wear high heels?
Heck, I can't even walk in high heels, but yes, combat training in high heels is available for our more *coordinated* sisters.

Attachments

• nunswithguns.jpg
    nunswithguns.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 1,367
Man your battle stations!

Evo said:
Hmmm, seems Antifreeze is onto us. Sisters get ready, you know what to do!
I want to join :frown:

WannabeNewton said:
I want to join :frown:
You're in, grab your stilletos.

Evo said:
You're in, grab your stilletos.
Woo! Time to get out that tomb raider costume I've always wanted to wear...:bugeye:

My men are battered and wounded; I would like to propose a treaty. Does the Sisterhood accept?

AnTiFreeze3 said:
My men are battered and wounded; I would like to propose a treaty. Does the Sisterhood accept?
We accept. :biggrin: We want cheese.

Best thread ever. I repeat (and in the original way I posted before it lower cased it): BEST THREAD EVER.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
NO EVO NO! Don't accept him! He's a traiiitooooor. Go Go Gadget Holy Hand Grenade!

StevieTNZ said:
Best thread ever. I repeat (and in the original way I posted before it lower cased it): BEST THREAD EVER.

Said in such a way, but opposite wording from this clip:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't ask me why, but each time I read about PF Sisterhood, I think about nasty habits (NSFW).

Last edited by a moderator:

berkeman said:
:bugeye::tongue2:

Borek said:
Don't ask me why, but each time I read about PF Sisterhood, I think about nasty habits (NSFW).

Borek! lol, not bad not bad... :D

Greg Bernhardt said:
Borek! lol, not bad not bad... :D

Personally, I think he's an expert in the subject.

Borek said:

It must be tough to be a priest these days.

Evo said:
We accept. :biggrin: We want cheese.

Your terms are reasonable. We will gather what cheese we have left, and will make sure that the Sisterhood does not hunger for cheese anymore.

WannabeNewton said:
NO EVO NO! Don't accept him! He's a traiiitooooor. Go Go Gadget Holy Hand Grenade!

Don't listen to him! All we ask for in return are the blueprints for an atomic bomb. But we promise not to make one.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
Don't listen to him!

Her. You haven't been paying attention... Now they are going to be *really* mad!

berkeman said:
Her. You haven't been paying attention... Now they are going to be *really* mad!

(My appealing to him as a male is an attempt to bring him back to our side. WBN is too powerful of an asset to allow them to have him. Plus he looks atrocious in heels).

AnTiFreeze3 said:
(My appealing to him as a male is an attempt to bring him back to our side. WBN is too powerful of an asset to allow them to have him. Plus he looks atrocious in heels).

Pretty sure he is a she. And she is powerful enough now to make you, well, you know.

Are you currently active in any field of research

Borek said:

I'm surprised that you haven't been banned! Bad Borek! Bad!

Great bio, Evo! Nice thread. Who's up next for roasting by PF?

I tried to make phyllo dough a couple weeks ago and my food processor broke. Doing it with a blender was frickin' hard.

loseyourname said:
I tried to make phyllo dough a couple weeks ago and my food processor broke. Doing it with a blender was frickin' hard.

Well hello there! Good to see you around :)