Can Photons Bounce Back? | Meeting of Photons Hello!

• Thread starter menniandscience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary: This is my first time, I tried to find the thread which best fits my question, so please excuse me if I have made a mistake:As far as I know e-m waves 'can superimpose' can two waves meet to form enough energy to produce particle and anti-particle pair. Thanks for your help!
menniandscience
hello!
q: can photons bounce back from photons?
i'm thinking about a ray of light in space crossing in front of my eyes but i can't see it off course since it dosen't hit my eyes or particles like dust. so if i want to see it, can i turn on a flashlight making the ray hit by the rays of the flashlight so some of the photons will bounce back [to my eyes] after hitting the photons of the ray making it possible for me to see the ray.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
The short answer is no. Quite strictly no.

If conditions are right, you would rather have particle creation. There is speculation that at insanely high photon densities, photons may interact, but this hasn't really been proven, and it's beyond conventionnal theories.

No. Photons do not interact.

There can be effects in matter where there are non-linear effect but that is due to the photon interacting with the charged particles in the matter.

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
Hi,
The short answer is no. Quite strictly no.

If conditions are right, you would rather have particle creation. There is speculation that at insanely high photon densities, photons may interact, but this hasn't really been proven, and it's beyond conventionnal theories.

what about interference?

Interference is not interaction. Interference is sumation. If you put two dollars in a bank account, you have two dollars, but each of them doesn't know about the other. The same with photons.

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
Interference is not interaction. Interference is sumation. If you put two dollars in a bank account, you have two dollars, but each of them doesn't know about the other.
But make sure you put them in both face up! Otherwise you will have zero dollars! :biggrin:

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
Interference is not interaction. Interference is sumation. If you put two dollars in a bank account, you have two dollars, but each of them doesn't know about the other. The same with photons.

that is the quantum perception is it? but you can look at it as a wave and then the waves are changing, like the tops gets higher

Photons can in principle interact indirectly with each other via Delbrück scattering, but the probability is expected to be extremely tiny and as far as I know has not actually been observed (yet).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delbruck_scattering

jtbell said:
Photons can in principle interact indirectly with each other via Delbrück scattering, but the probability is expected to be extremely tiny and as far as I know has not actually been observed (yet).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delbruck_scattering

what about light changes in elctromagnetic (not sure, maybe just magnetic) surrounding (dont want to say fields because they are not made of photns, but a magnet emits photons).

the wiki expample, i feel, not quite good. I am asking about hitting of two photons like two soccer balls
thanks

Light-by-light scattering has been observed. But it is a very, very, very difficult measurement because the effect is so small. It is a very small quantum mechanical correction to a classical theory where there is identically zero interaction.

Vanadium 50 said:
Light-by-light scattering has been observed. But it is a very, very, very difficult measurement because the effect is so small. It is a very small quantum mechanical correction to a classical theory where there is identically zero interaction.

ok so no significant interaction, why is it? why two photons crossing each other and nothing happens?

Because photons interact only with charged particles and photons are uncharged.

Vanadium 50 said:

What is the mechanism?

This is my first time, I tried to find the thread which best fits my question, so please excuse me if I have made a mistake:

As far as I know e-m waves 'can superimpose' can two waves meet to form enough energy to produce particle and anti-particle pair. Thanks

1. Can photons bounce back?

Yes, photons can bounce back. This phenomenon is known as reflection, where photons interact with a surface and change direction.

2. How does the bouncing back of photons occur?

When photons interact with a surface, they can be absorbed, transmitted, or reflected. The bouncing back of photons occurs when they are reflected off a surface, changing direction but maintaining their energy.

3. What determines the amount of reflection of photons?

The amount of reflection of photons is determined by the properties of the surface, such as its material, texture, and angle of incidence. These factors affect how the photons interact with the surface and whether they are reflected or absorbed.

4. Can all surfaces reflect photons?

No, not all surfaces can reflect photons. Some surfaces are transparent, allowing photons to pass through, while others are opaque and absorb all or most of the photons. The ability to reflect photons depends on the material and properties of the surface.

5. Is the bouncing back of photons important in everyday life?

Yes, the bouncing back of photons plays a crucial role in our everyday lives. It is the reason we can see objects and colors, as our eyes receive and interpret the reflected photons. It also has many practical applications, such as in mirrors, solar panels, and photography.