Difference Between Linkless & Lined Out Members on Leave

• Thread starter Frabjous
  • Start date
In summary, the Strikethrough indicates a banned (or temporarily banned) member. The members you can't click on to view their info are generally members who have requested to have their accounts deleted. The new privacy laws in the EU compel websites to delete accounts for members who live in the EU.
Frabjous
Gold Member
What is the difference between a member whose name is linkless and one whose name is lined out?

Physics news on Phys.org
The strikethrough indicates a banned (or temporarily banned) member. The members you can't click on to view their info are generally members who have requested to have their accounts deleted. The new privacy laws in the EU compel websites to delete accounts for members who live in the EU.

Then I‘d like to raise a 🍺 to a recently deleted member.:H

Likes pinball1970, Hamiltonian, DaveE and 3 others
caz said:
Yeah, I'll raise a glass to that toast.

Likes Hamiltonian, Frabjous and Keith_McClary
Yep🍻

Likes Hamiltonian, Frabjous and Keith_McClary
oof, hope they're doing well 🍻

Likes Frabjous and Keith_McClary
caz said:
Can I ask who?

##e^{i \pi}##

• Sad
Likes pinball1970
berkeman said:
The new privacy laws in the EU compel websites to delete accounts for members who live in the EU.
... or who do not, but @Greg Bernhardt followed their request, as in that case.

berkeman said:
##e^{i \pi}##
There should be a joke about being minus one member.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, DaveE, berkeman and 1 other person
caz said:
There should be a joke about being minus one member.
I had only just worked out what his name actually meant.
Euler-n unexpected things on pf.

Mm... That was so bad I think the thread will get closed

• Haha
Likes Frabjous
berkeman said:
The new privacy laws in the EU compel websites to delete accounts for members who live in the EU.
To avoid any misunderstanding (it's surprising how often statements like this are taken out of context) I think it is worth pointing out that (i) that's something of an oversimplification so it would not be a good idea to rely on in general; (ii) the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) came into effect three years ago.
fresh_42 said:
... or who do not, but @Greg Bernhardt followed their request, as in that case.
The GDPR was made law in the UK by the Data Protection Act 2018 and although now we have left the EU we can change it, we have not yet done so and so the ‘right to be forgotten’ has not changed for an individual in the UK.

• Informative
Likes fresh_42
pinball1970 said:
Mm... That was so bad I think the thread will get closed
Groan.. I am beginning to understand why he left!
But a loss.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, berkeman and Twigg

1. What is the difference between linkless and lined out members on leave?

Linkless members on leave are those who have taken a temporary break from their membership but are still considered part of the organization. They may not have access to certain benefits or privileges during their leave, but their membership is still active. Lined out members on leave, on the other hand, have completely terminated their membership and are no longer considered part of the organization.

2. How are linkless and lined out members on leave treated differently?

Linkless members on leave may still receive communication and updates from the organization, and may be able to rejoin at a later time without having to go through the membership application process again. Lined out members on leave, however, have severed all ties with the organization and would have to reapply for membership if they wish to rejoin in the future.

3. What are the reasons for taking a leave of absence as a linkless or lined out member?

There are various reasons why a member may choose to take a leave of absence, such as personal or family reasons, health issues, or work commitments. Each organization may have their own policies and procedures for members on leave.

4. Can linkless or lined out members on leave still participate in organization activities?

It depends on the policies of the organization. Linkless members on leave may still be able to participate in certain activities, while lined out members on leave would not have any involvement in organization activities.

5. Is there a time limit for being a linkless or lined out member on leave?

Again, this varies depending on the organization's policies. Some may have a specific time limit for being on leave, while others may allow members to extend their leave or have no time limit at all. It is important for members to communicate with the organization and follow their guidelines for taking a leave of absence.