Memories of being in the womb?

• Thread starter Shakir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Memories
In summary, most babies can't remember any memories from before they were born because their brains are not yet fully developed.
Shakir
I was wondering why we can not remember any memories of being in the womb?

Biology news on Phys.org
Because the parts of the brain responsible for conscious memory are not yet fully developed (and won't be until a few months after birth).

Likes russ_watters and Shakir
Shakir said:
I was wondering why we can not remember any memories of being in the womb?
For me, it was a pretty uneventful time of my life. All I can remember is things being kind of mushy, and my fingers felt thick. Other than that, nada.

[edit: ps. It was also kind of like Florida. A bit on the "too warm" side, and incredible humidity.]

Likes phinds and russ_watters
On a more serious side note, I blame mom on me not remembering anything more:

When Does Consciousness Arise in Human Babies?
...What is fascinating is the discovery that the fetus is actively sedated by the low oxygen pressure (equivalent to that at the top of Mount Everest), the warm and cushioned uterine environment and a range of neuroinhibitory and sleep-inducing substances produced by the placenta and the fetus itself: adenosine; two steroidal anesthetics, allopregnanolone and pregnanolone; one potent hormone, prostaglandin D2; and others. The role of the placenta in maintaining sedation
... In late gestation the fetus is in one of these two sleep states 95 percent of the time, separated by brief transitions.​

Probably a good idea. Had I woken up for more than a brief moment, I would have been shouting and kicking; "How long do you expect me to hold my breath in here! Hello!". At which point, I would have drowned. :oldcry:

hmmm...
Thanks mom!

Likes Drakkith
Most people's earliest memories start when they are 2-3 years old. The brain is simply not well enough developed before then to lay down long term memories.

Likes Shakir
My own earliest memory is around age 3.
My mother had to go do some work, (I think it was in a nearby confectionery factory), just a few hours for not bad pay.
I was left with an 'auntie jean' (next door nieghbor in fact).
It went OK mainly, but I absolutely refused to change into fresh clothes, Auntie Jean was not my Mum! ( but she was OK about it)

Likes Shakir and OCR
Bandersnatch said:
Because the parts of the brain responsible for conscious memory are not yet fully developed (and won't be until a few months after birth).
phyzguy said:
Most people's earliest memories start when they are 2-3 years old. The brain is simply not well enough developed before then to lay down long term memories.
I think this is the best we can do at the moment, so thread is closed.

Likes berkeman and Shakir

1. What are memories of being in the womb?

Memories of being in the womb refer to the recollection of experiences and sensations that occurred during the prenatal period of a person's life.

2. Is it possible to remember being in the womb?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that it is possible to remember being in the womb. The brain structures and processes necessary for forming and storing memories do not fully develop until after birth.

3. Why do some people claim to have memories of being in the womb?

There are a few possible reasons for this. One is that they are actually recalling memories from their early childhood, as these memories can often be distorted and may feel like they are from the prenatal period. Another explanation could be that these individuals have constructed false memories through suggestion or imagination.

4. Can prenatal experiences affect a person's behavior and personality?

There is some evidence to suggest that prenatal experiences can have an impact on a person's behavior and personality. For example, exposure to stress hormones in the womb may lead to increased anxiety and other behavioral issues later in life. However, the extent of this impact is still being studied.

5. How can scientists study memories of being in the womb?

Since it is not currently possible to directly study memories of being in the womb, scientists use other methods to explore this topic. This includes studying brain development and prenatal experiences, conducting experiments on animals, and analyzing the experiences and memories of individuals who claim to remember being in the womb.