Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Memory span as the quantum of thought plus golden ratio the basis of everything?

1. Apr 10, 2010 #1
    Memory span as the "quantum" of thought plus golden ratio the basis of everything?

I found this paper linked to in wikipedia's article on information theory. After a little bit of background checking, it seems the authors (or at least one of them) is known as being controversial for their racial theories and politics.
    The paper seemed interesting certainly, although the way it was sort of all over the place seemed a bit unusual for a scientific paper.

So my question (and not sure if this even the right forum for this)- Is this a bunch of bunk, or are the factual statements he made (that are mostly cited) accurate?

http://www.v-weiss.de/chaos.html

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2010 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Memory span as the "quantam" of thought plus golden ratio the basis of everything

Moved from S&D.

Not sure about the best place for this one; the paper seems to meet our minimum requirement for a regular science forum.

4. Apr 10, 2010 #3
    Re: Memory span as the "quantum" of thought plus golden ratio the basis of everything

This shouldn't even BE here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkmar_Weiss

@Galteeth: This paper is "all over the place", because it's patterns and math being found and then ruminated over, massaged, and then made to fit the authors' preconceptions.

This is what happens when very bright people are blinded by their agendas. As for Harald Weiss, I've never heard of him, and the only reference I can find has him as a COMPOSER?!... which makes sense, given that Volkmar has always had interests as wide as his prejudices, and truly is a jack of all trades, master of none. To be fair, I give him too much credit.

http://www.v-weiss.de/wissen-e.html

Regarding the book he's selling (what a shock)... his OWN description:

This is the kind of person I can imagine yearning for twin studies circa the EARLY 40's. :grumpy:

This isn't science, it isn't medicine, it's utter and complete horse****, devoid of substance. His entire notion of memory duration and IQ as being essentially linked is sophomoric, and his interpretations of EEGs are just WRONG. His math, I don't know, but who cares? A solution only matters in medicine, as in physics, if it has a physical reality... moreso in medicine and psychology. This "Dr." is disgusting.

5. Apr 10, 2010 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Memory span as the "quantam" of thought plus golden ratio the basis of everything

This "paper" is published in a journal founded and edited by the rather famous crank: Mohamed El Naschie. The history of the journal, and the tricks used by El Naschie to artificially raise its impact factor through self-citation of hundreds of essentially unreviewed crackpot papers, have been chronicled in several blogs and news stories (from John Baez's blog to Nature News). After widespread attention was drawn to the abuse, Elsevier announced that El Naschie was to retire (this was back in 2009) as editor of the journal.

I have no doubt that this paper would not be published in most any respectable journal, and that it got published in "Chaos,..." simply because it played by El naschie's rules and cited him heavily, mentioning him by name in the abstract, etc.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook