Mental Calculation - How good are you?

• Thread starter Hyperreality
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the conversation discusses the ability of humans to perform mental arithmetic, with some individuals having prodigious abilities in this area. The use of tricks and techniques such as logarithms, binomial expansions, and interpolations are mentioned as ways to rapidly approximate calculations. The conversation also touches on the idea of using mental arithmetic for everyday tasks, as well as the difference between performing calculations with numbers versus using algebraic symbols. The conversation also includes personal anecdotes and memories related to mental arithmetic.
Hyperreality
How many digits of number can you multiply mentally? I can just manage two digits... :biggrin: :cry:

Recently I've be reading Roger Penrose's Emperor's New Mind,

There are human 'calculating prodigies' who can perform very remarkable feats of mental arithmetic with unfailing accuracy and apparent effortlessness. For example, Johann Martin Zcharias Dase, an illiterate farmer's son, who lived from 1824 to 1861, in Germany, was able to multiply any two eight figure numbers together in his head in less than a minute, or two twenty figure numbers together in about six minutes!
:surprise:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
But how about calculating [tex]e^3 [/tex] or [tex]e^{1.4} [/tex] mentally?

To find out how, read "Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman"

I can barely do one digit multiplications. That why I became a mathematician- I can work with "x"s and "y"s and not worry about actual numbers!

Omg - 8 digits!
That's like SPECIAL!

I can use a few tricks, like using logarithms, or near neighbors to rapidly get very good approximations, but that's it.

I remember hearing that Meyer Lansky, as a child, would watch freight trains go by and add up their serial numbers as they passed. One of the things that helped him in his criminal enterprises is that he never needed to write anything down. He could memorize all of the accounting entries for his illicit businesses.

Njorl

In high school, we used to play games like finding logarithms or cube roots of randomly chosen numbers, and the first to get 4 sig figs right was the winner. Also, if no one got a correct solution in 60 seconds, that's when we stopped.

Some of the commonly used tricks were : knowing and using logarithms of common numbers (2,3,5,7), using binomial expansions and nearly-linear interpolations between nearby outputs. The art of interpolating along the logarithmic curve (make a linear interpolation and adjust upwards correctly) usually helped the most.

I can only multiply 2 digit numbers and some 3 digit numbers (by stricly multiplying), but there are always nicer big numbers, and often, you don't need the exact product.

PS : Ypu might want to Google "Shakuntala Devi" - she can consistently multiply pairs of 10 digit numbers in under a minute. Her record, I think, is a pair of 13 digit numbers in under 30 seconds ! :eek:

Last edited:
I can multiply or square 2 digit numbers very quickly. With that, I can divide or find square roots for 4 digit numbers to 2 digits and can usually interpolate to extend the precision to 3 or 4 digits. The only work I've done with logs is with decibels. With dB's, if you know the log of 2 is about .3 and the log of 10 is 1, 100 is 2, etc, you're accurate enough for most situations (i.e. - If you have an input of 25 Watts with a 17 dB gain, your output is about 2500/2 or about 1250 Watts).

I can't even add or subtract a pair of two-digit numbers in my head. I have the worst short-term memory of anyone I know.

I can multiply two square digit accurately, but not quickly though...

My trick is using the expansion:

(a+b)^2=a^2+b^2+2ab or
(a-b)^2=a^2+b^2-2ab :biggrin:

Multiplying long numbers together can be done with the following method:

Units = Units x Units
Tens = Units x Tens + Tens x Units
Hundreds = Units x Hundreds + Tens x Tens + Hundreds x Units
Thousands = Units x Thousands + Tens x Hundreds + Hundreds x Tens +Thousands x Units

and so on. Of course you have a carry term from each stage. Keeping track of it all isn't that difficult. Speed and accuracy are more of a problem, but I dare say they would come with practice.

HallsofIvy said:
I can barely do one digit multiplications. That why I became a mathematician- I can work with "x"s and "y"s and not worry about actual numbers!
I feel a bit like that too. I didn't spend much time memorizing multiplication tables as a child, and I'm pretty poor at mental arithmetic. I can usually work algebra problems through many steps in my head, though.

Terrible :(

Unless you count the calculator as an extension to the brain...

1. How can I improve my mental calculation skills?

One of the best ways to improve your mental calculation skills is to practice regularly. This can include solving math problems in your head, playing mental math games, or using online resources and apps designed for mental calculation practice. You can also try using visualization techniques or mnemonic devices to help you remember numbers and calculations more easily.

2. Is it important to be good at mental calculation?

Being good at mental calculation can have many benefits, including improving your overall math skills, increasing your speed and accuracy with numbers, and boosting your confidence. It can also be a useful skill in everyday life, such as when calculating tips or splitting a bill at a restaurant.

3. What are some common techniques used in mental calculation?

Some common techniques used in mental calculation include breaking numbers down into smaller, more manageable parts, using estimation and rounding to simplify calculations, and using known facts and patterns to solve problems. Additionally, visualization, memory techniques, and finger counting can also be helpful for some people.

4. Can anyone become good at mental calculation?

While some people may have a natural aptitude for mental calculation, anyone can improve their skills with practice and dedication. Like any skill, it may come more easily to some individuals, but with consistent effort and the right techniques, anyone can become proficient at mental calculation.

5. Are there any potential downsides to relying on mental calculation?

While mental calculation can be a useful skill, it is important to remember that it is not always the most efficient or accurate method for solving math problems. It is still important to check your work and use other methods, such as writing down calculations, when necessary. Additionally, relying solely on mental calculation can lead to mental fatigue and burnout, so it is important to take breaks and not overwork your brain.