1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mesh Analysis - confusion on writing equations

1. Feb 26, 2007 #1
    I'm quite confused by mesh analysis. I understand that the idea is basically to apply KVL to each mesh. For example, if you have a loop that contains, say, a 3ohm and 2ohm resistor, and that's it, what is the correct KVL equation? Is it simply 0=3I+2I?

As another example, check out this page: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Electronics/Mesh_Analysis
    At the bottom, I can understand the first equation: you have a 9V source, and the resistors must cause a 9V voltage drop. But the second equation, I don't understand. Why is the first term positive?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

On your first question, yes, you would write 0=3I+2I. And you would solve it and get I=0, because there are no sources in your example.

In the second loop, the first term is positive because of the +/- sign convention on that resistor. In the first loop, the voltage across that resistor is a *voltage drop* following the direction of the first loop current as shown. But it is a *voltage gain* in the direction of the second current loop as shown. Make sense?

You just have to be careful and consistent in KVL loops to write drops as - voltage changes, and gains as + voltage changes.

4. Feb 27, 2007 #3
    Loop2: 0 = 3000(I1 - I2) - 2000I2 - 2000I2
    yes it has to do with the passive sign convention. This equation can also
    be written as follows
    0 = -3000(I2 - I1) - 2000I2 - 2000I2.
    I2 and I1 goes through 3Kohms, but in opposite directions. in the second loop just follow I2 and write the equation i wrote :) this avoids confusion
    cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?