Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Messages into space

1. Jul 23, 2010 #1
    If I wanted to send a radio signal to another star, shouldn’t I have to account for where the star will be when the message arrives?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2010 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

If you send it with a parabolic dish, yes, but if you send it in a way that is not as directional (just an antenna, for example) no.

4. Jul 23, 2010 #3
    just a quck folow up question russ, wouldnt the parabolic dish still not make much of a difference? i mean, the radio waves should still spead out enough thoughout space right? unless one was trying to reach Mars. but Alpha-Centari should just be "There it is. Point and shoot!" right"

5. Jul 24, 2010 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes, the stars we can see with the naked eye don't move much and it is difficult to get a very tight beam of radio waves. Heck, Mars doesn't even move much in the few minutes it takes for a signal to reach it.

6. Jul 24, 2010 #5
    I was reading up on the first organized message sent into space, the Arecibo Message. It was sent to Messier 13 some 26,000 ly away. I am guessing under this scenario you'd have to account for movement, as the stars can orbit around the galaxy quite a bit in 26,000 years. Or would this message still be broad enough to cover it?

7. Jul 25, 2010 #6
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook