Metal rod rotating in magnetic induction.

In summary, the problem is asking to calculate the number of rotations made by a metal rod, with a length of 1/sqrt(pi) m, rotating about one end in a plane perpendicular to a magnetic induction of 5*10^-3 T, if the induced EMF between the ends of the rod is 1.5 mV. Using Faraday's law, we can find the induced EMF by taking the integral of the product of the velocity and magnetic field over the length of the rod. From this, we can find the angular velocity and subsequently the number of rotations per second.
amk_dbz

Homework Statement

A metal rod (1/sqrt(pi)) m long rotates about one of its ends in a plane perpendicular to magnetic induction of 5*10^-3 T. Calculate the number of revolutions made by the rod if EMF induced between the ends of the rod is 1.5 mV.

I have been thinking about this problem for a long time but in vain. I just don't understand where to start.Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Homework Equations

Faraday's law : EMF induced=- d∅/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been thinking about this problem for a long time but in vain.
I have tried using Faraday's law but can't figure out equation for ∅. I just don't understand where to start.Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a small element dx of the rod at a distance x from the fix end. Suppose it is moving with a velocity v in the circular orbit.
Then the induced emf in this element dε = -vBdx. Put v = ωx.
To find the total induced emf, find the integration from zero to the given length of the rod.
In the problem emf is given. Find ω, which gives you the number of rotation per second.

Thank you sir/madam for your help.

1. How does a metal rod rotate in magnetic induction?

A metal rod rotates in magnetic induction when it is placed in a changing magnetic field. This changing magnetic field induces an electric current in the metal rod, creating a force that causes it to rotate.

2. What factors affect the rotation speed of a metal rod in magnetic induction?

The rotation speed of a metal rod in magnetic induction is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the length and thickness of the rod, and the speed of the changing magnetic field.

3. Can any type of metal be used for a rotating metal rod in magnetic induction?

Yes, any type of metal can be used for a rotating metal rod in magnetic induction. However, metals with high electrical conductivity, such as copper or aluminum, are more effective because they allow for a stronger induced current.

4. What are some practical applications of a rotating metal rod in magnetic induction?

Rotating metal rods in magnetic induction can be used in generators and motors to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy and vice versa. They are also used in devices such as electric meters and metal detectors.

5. Is there anything that can prevent a metal rod from rotating in magnetic induction?

Yes, a metal rod can be prevented from rotating in magnetic induction by using a non-conductive coating on the surface of the rod, or by using a material with low electrical conductivity. Additionally, a steady or unchanging magnetic field will not induce a current and therefore will not cause rotation.