Method of images with dielectric

The only thing that would change would be the value of ##\epsilon_1##, which would now be 1 since the region z>0 is in vacuum. So, the potential in the region z>0 would be:\Phi =\frac {1}{4 \pi} (\frac{q}{R_1}+\frac{q'}{R_2})and the potential in the region z<0 would be:\Phi =\frac {1}{4 \pi \epsilon_2} \frac {q''}{R_1}Hope that helps!In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the method of images and a charge on the z-axis. The goal is to find the
Lindsayyyy
Hi everyone

I have an understanding problem concerning the method of images method

Homework Statement

Jackson uses this kind of problem in his textbook but I don't understand it.
We have a charge q on the z axis at distance d. the dielectric constant is e1 when z>=0 and e2 when z<0. Now I want to find the potential.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what Jackson does what I don't understand.

We use another charge q' at the opposite location to get the potential for z>0

[tex] \Phi =\frac {1}{4 \pi \epsilon_1} (\frac{q}{R_1}+\frac{q'}{R_2})[/tex]

This is equal to the case where we have only a conducting plate on the x axis. Now we have to find the potential for z<0 whereas Jackson says:
[tex] \Phi =\frac {1}{4 \pi \epsilon_2} \frac {q''}{R_1}[/tex]

I don't understand this step. The explantion which is given from Jackson doesn't help me either. How to I get to this solution?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lindsayyyy said:
Now we have to find the potential for z<0 whereas Jackson says:
[tex] \Phi =\frac {1}{4 \pi \epsilon_2} \frac {q''}{R_1}[/tex]

I don't understand this step. The explantion which is given from Jackson doesn't help me either. How to I get to this solution?

Jackson is making an "educated guess" or "ansatz" and then showing that everything works out for a certain value of q''.

This guess can be motivated by a couple of observations:

(1) For determining the potential in the region z < 0, any image charge(s) must be placed in the region z > 0.

(2) The image charge(s) used to produce the potential for z < 0 must produce a potential that satisfies the boundary conditions at every point on the z = 0 plane (Jackson's 4.42 in second edition).

These two conditions pretty much require the image charge q'' to be placed in region z > 0 at the same location as the real charge q.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, but I actually still don't understand the procedure. It feels like you have to know the solution in order to solve it. There is no logical approach for me :(
Why do I have to put a charge in z>0 in order to determine the potential in z<0?

In this problem it should be clear that the solution for ##\Phi(x, y, z)## will be axially symmetric about the z-axis in both regions. Thus, any image charges will probably have to be placed on the z-axis to preserve this symmetry.

##\Phi## will have to satisfy Laplace's equations at all points except the point where the real charge q is located. (This follows from equations (4.41) 2nd ed). Thus, in region z>0, ##\Phi## cannot have any singularities except at the location of q. So, when setting up images to produce the solution in the region z>0, the image charges must be placed on the z-axis in the region z<0. It is not at all obvious to me that the solution in region z>0 can be obtained by using just one image charge q' located in region z<0 at the same distance from z = 0 as q. But, it does turn out to work.

There can be no singularities for ##\Phi## in region z<0 since there are no real charges in this region. So, when deciding on where to place image charges for producing ##\Phi## in region z<0, the image charge(s) will need to be placed on the z axis in the region z>0. Using the observations that I gave in my previous post, it does seem natural to me to try a single image charge q'' located at the same position as q. The values of q' and q'' are then determined from the boundary conditions.

For me, there is an element of guessing in deciding where to place the images. (Sort of like learning integration techniques. In a complicated integral, you're not sure if a certain trig substitution, say, is going to work until you give it a try.) To my knowledge, there are only a relatively few geometries where you can use image charges and you get familiar with them by just studying solutions that are given in standard texts.

ok thanks for the help. if z>0 is in vacuum, the problem wouldn't change, would it? Except for e1=1 then.

That's correct.

1. What is the method of images with dielectric?

The method of images with dielectric is a mathematical technique used in electrostatics and electromagnetism to find the electric potential and electric field due to a point charge placed near a dielectric medium. It involves creating a set of imaginary mirror charges inside and outside the dielectric medium to satisfy the boundary conditions.

2. How is the method of images with dielectric different from the regular method of images?

The regular method of images is used to find the electric potential and electric field due to a point charge near a conducting surface. The method of images with dielectric is used when the surface is a dielectric medium. In this case, the electric field is not zero inside the dielectric, and hence, the method of images with dielectric takes into account this additional electric field.

3. What are the assumptions made in the method of images with dielectric?

The main assumptions made in the method of images with dielectric are that the dielectric medium is linear, isotropic, and homogeneous. This means that the dielectric constant is constant throughout the medium, and its value does not depend on the direction or location.

4. Can the method of images with dielectric be used for any shape of the dielectric medium?

Yes, the method of images with dielectric can be used for any shape of the dielectric medium as long as it satisfies the assumptions mentioned above. The method can be extended to non-uniform dielectric media by dividing it into small segments and applying the technique to each segment separately.

5. What are the practical applications of the method of images with dielectric?

The method of images with dielectric is commonly used in the study of capacitors, where it helps in finding the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor with a dielectric medium between the plates. It is also used in the design and analysis of electronic devices such as microchips, where the presence of dielectric materials can significantly affect the electric field and potential distribution.