1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metric in Manifold

1. Sep 22, 2014 #1

kau

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am confused if there is any standard way to check what should be the line element $$ds^{2}$$ when the dimensions are more than three ( since we don't have the option to draw things as we usually do in case of 3d or less dimensional cases. I am following Hobson's book. I am giving you an example. consider a 3sphere embedded in 4d euclidean space. show that line element can be written as following

2. Relevant equations
    ##ds^{2} = a^2[(d\chi^2)+sin^{2} \chi(d\theta^{2}+sin^{2}\theta d\phi^{2})]##
    now here can you introduce the concept of radial distance?? what it would be??
    In that case if I have a metric ##ds^2=\frac{dr^{2}}{1-(2\mu/r)}+r^{2}[d\theta^2+sin^{2}\theta d\phi^{2}]##
    tell me what should be the radial distance between a sphere at r=2##\mu## and r=3##\mu##??
    these are ques from hobson's book basically.
    if any of you take the pain to explain me little bit in detail to visualise these stuff i would be grateful.
    thanks

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted