Understanding Metrics and Metric Spaces: Exploring Possibilities and Intuitions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a metric space and the possibility of certain scenarios occurring in different metrics. The definition of a metric is mentioned, as well as the triangle inequality property. The use of a discrete metric is suggested as an example. The conversation also explores the idea of using other metric spaces to define a metric on a given set of points. Ultimately, it is concluded that these scenarios are possible in different metrics and may seem counter-intuitive, but they do not violate the properties of a metric.
kingwinner
Let (X,d) be a metric space. d is a metric.

1) Is it possible that d(1,2)=d(1,8)?

2) Is it possible that d(1,3)>d(1,100)? If the answer is yes, wouldn't it be weird? The distance between 1 and 3 is larger than the distance between 1 and 100? This is highly counter-intuitive to me...

3) Is it possible that d(1,3)+d(3,7)≠d(1,7)?

I am very used to the usual Euclidean distance/metric, in which the above are all impossible. I'm still not entirely comfortable with the idea of a metric space. My playing around with different metrics seem to suggest that the above are possible, but it doesn't seem to make sense to me...

May someone explain this?
Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Moderator's note: thread moved to homework area.

The distance metric is only one example. What is the definition of a metric? Applying that definition is the way to work this problem.

[I'm sorry, but this is not homework. I don't think homework would ask for these kinds of problems!?]

I think the answers to all 3 questions are "yes", but it seems weird to me and I would like someone to confirm this.

Thank you!

Try looking at some examples of metrics and metric spaces. For example, the discrete metric can be used for one of your questions.

OK, I think the discrete metric gives a concrete example with d(1,2)=d(1,8), so it's possible.

How about 2) and 3)? Why are they possible? I just don't understand...It's really counter-intuitive to me...

Last edited:
Part of the definition of a metric is the triangle inequality:

d(x,y)[tex]\leq[/tex]d(x,z)+d(z,y)

Apply to number 3

kingwinner said:
OK, I think the discrete metric gives a concrete example with d(1,2)=d(1,8), so it's possible.

How about 2) and 3)? Why are they possible? I just don't understand...It's really counter-intuitive to me...

You aren't being very imaginative here. Consider a map f from your points {1,2,3,7,8} to ANY other metric space. Like R or R^2 or anything, with your choice of metric. Now define d(x,y) for x and y in R to be D(f(x),f(y)) where D is the metric in the other metric space. As long as f is injective, d is a metric on your points. Isn't it? Doesn't that make your problem easy?

I am still concerned with 2).

If d(1,3)>d(1,100), would this violate any of the properties of a metric?

I don't remember which metric did I get results like d(1,3)>d(1,100), I just remember that a week ago when I was playing around and computing distances between points for different metrics I got something like that which doesn't make much sense to me. I keep on telling myself that this is an abstract space, not the usual Euclidean metric, but do we actually allow things like d(1,3)>d(1,100) to happen? It's counter-intuitive and perhaps I'm lacking some imagination...

kingwinner said:
I am still concerned with 2).

If d(1,3)>d(1,100), would this violate any of the properties of a metric?

I don't remember which metric did I get results like d(1,3)>d(1,100), I just remember that a week ago when I was playing around and computing distances between points for different metrics I got something like that which doesn't make much sense to me. I keep on telling myself that this is an abstract space, not the usual Euclidean metric, but do we actually allow things like d(1,3)>d(1,100) to happen? It's counter-intuitive and perhaps I'm lacking some imagination...

It's not even all that abstract. Define f mapping your points into R with the usual metric. Define f(1)=1, f(3)=3 and f(100)=2. What's wrong with that? That's really all you need. You just are thinking of too small a class of mappings.

1. What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept that defines the distance between any two points in a given set. It is a way of measuring and quantifying the properties of a set, and it is especially useful in the field of topology and analysis.

2. What is a metric?

A metric is a function that satisfies certain properties and is used to define the distance between two points in a metric space. It is a way of quantifying the distance or "closeness" between two elements in a set.

3. How is a metric space different from a vector space?

A metric space is a set of elements with a defined distance function, while a vector space is a set of elements with defined operations such as addition and scalar multiplication. In a metric space, the distance function is the most important property, while in a vector space, the operations of addition and multiplication are the most important.

4. What are some examples of metric spaces?

Some common examples of metric spaces include Euclidean space, where the distance between two points is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, and Minkowski space, which is used in special relativity. Other examples include metric spaces based on graphs, networks, and sets of points in a plane or higher-dimensional space.

5. How are metrics used in real-life applications?

Metrics are used in a wide range of real-life applications, including data analysis, machine learning, and optimization problems. They are also used in physics and engineering to measure physical quantities such as distance, time, and speed. In computer science, metrics are used to measure the performance of algorithms and to evaluate the similarity of data points in clustering and classification tasks.