Why were perpendicular arms crucial in the Michelson-Morley experiment?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
mk9898
Messages
109
Reaction score
9
Why was it important that both arms were parallel and perpendicular to the rotation of the earth?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mk9898 said:
Why was it important that both arms were parallel and perpendicular to the rotation of the earth?
Hi mk9898, do you know what the experiment was designed to detect?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
mk9898 said:
Of course...
Ok. A couple of more questions :smile:: Do you know how the experiment was designed to detect an aether? And do you know what interference is (i.e. interference of light/electromagnetic waves) and/or how an interferometer works?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
Can someone answer my question? It seems DennisN just wants to be superfluous and cheeky.
 
mk9898 said:
Can someone answer my question?
Definitely.

mk9898 said:
It seems DennisN just wants to be superfluous and cheeky.
Not at all. I am doing my best to help out. You were very short in your first post, and also in your reply, so I am trying to understand what you know and don't know about the experiment. If I just tell you the answer to your question, the result may be that you learn less about the physics of this experiment. :wink:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters
mk9898 said:
I wouldn't have asked such a terse and direct question (like most people on this forum want) if I didn't already know about this experiment...
That's not true. See
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/little-excuse-ask-question-cold/
Thread closed. You may only open a new thread on the same topic if you detail what you know about the MM experiment and what you are struggling to understand.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters