Michelson- Morley's experiment

In summary: Down with the aether...I am just curious, imagine that we have a very large distance between the source of light and the detector let say the distance between the galaxy of Andromeda and us which is about 2.5x20^6 light years, and we do the same experiment, what would be the results?Yep, it's a pretty amazing idea. There are a few things to note: * The whole universe is filled with a microwave background radiation, and it dominates what the detector will see by a lot. On the order of 4000 times more energy than the signal we are looking for. So what happens is that the signal we are looking for - the light from the source - has to
jostpuur said:
There is no point in responding that hunarahmad would be wrong, because the Michelson-Morley experiment was intended to detect the ether in which light waves would have propagated, because even though Michelson-Morley experiment was intented to detect the ether in which light waves would have propagated, that does not contradict what hunarahmad was saying.

pmb_phy said:
The purpose of the ether was to give it a medium/frame of reference with which it traveled at c. The method of detection of the ether was to measure the velocity of light relative to it. The interferometer was designed such that the interference pattern would change as the apparatus was rotated. Due to the lack of change in the interference pattern it was deduced that the speed of light was independant of the velocity of the aether since the null result demonstrated that the light waves have the same values in different frames of reference.

Your response seemed confusing, and I was forced to notice that my own post wasn't very clear either. I explain my previous post again.

Humarahmad: "If light consists of particles that fly around like bullets, then the Michelson-Morley experiment didn't prove that these particles would go with the same speed c in all frames."

Respones: "You didn't understand it. The experiment was supposed to detect motion relative to the ether in which light waves would have propagated."

Do you see the lack of logic? That is what I'm criticizing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pmb_phy
Light consists of particles that behave in a quantum manner, i.e. in some cases they behave as if they have particle properties (and at other times they have wave properties).
Not true. The only time light shows particle-like properties ( eg localization, momentum) is when they interact with matter. In between we cannot say they are particles traveling freely in space, because they are not. The photon is the quantum of the EM field, it is not a particle.

Mentz114 said:
Pmb_phy

Not true. The only time light shows particle-like properties ( eg localization, momentum) is when they interact with matter. In between we cannot say they are particles traveling freely in space, because they are not. The photon is the quantum of the EM field, it is not a particle.
The same could be said about light waves, i.e. they only show wave properties when they interaction with matter. If you have any evidence of your assertion "photon is the quantum of the EM field, it is not a particle" then I'd like to see it. Reference to the physics literature would be fine.

Pete

jostpuur said:
Do you see the lack of logic? That is what I'm criticizing.

Answer this one question: Do you believe that the OP came here to learn or to tell everyone his new theory?

Pete

pmb_phy said:
If you have any evidence of your assertion "photon is the quantum of the EM field, it is not a particle" then I'd like to see it. Reference to the physics literature would be fine.

Pete

Any book about quantum optics covers this. E.g. Gerry&Knight "Introductory Quantum Optics".

The photon is neither a particle nor a wave; it is a mathematical construct which sometimes exhibits wave- or particle-like behaviour. There is simply no way to understand it in terms of classical concepts like waves or particles.

If you have any evidence of your assertion "photon is the quantum of the EM field, it is not a particle" then I'd like to see it.
Pete, this is probably not the place to discuss the nature of photons since there are loads of threads about this. It seems to me that photons are not helpful when discussing Michelson-Morley.

Chapter 19, 'The Light-Quantum' in 'Subtle is the Lord' ( A.Pais) is worth a read.

If we shoot a laser threw a large pain of glass that is move perpendicular to the laser would it have any effect on the motion of the light? Other than the effect of the change in densities?

E=mcc without conservation laws

jostpuur said:
I don't bother following the links of the OP, but this claim alone at least is not wrong.

http://www.arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0504486 E = mc^2 Without Relativity
You mention E=mcc without special relativity but with conservation laws. Have a look please at
Relativistic dynamics without conservation laws

Subjects: Physics Education (physics.ed-ph)
Cite as: arXiv:physics/0605203v1 [physics.ed-ph]
where E=mcc is derived from special relativity but without using conservations laws.

MM experiment interpretation by radar detection

hunarahmad said:
Hi everyone I'm a new member

Despite I'm not graduated from college of physical science, but I'm super interested in physics. this summer I tried to study relativity theory by my self with some good references, I was very happy when I get to understand the concepts of relativity and I convinced my self that the ultimate relative speed between any two objects is (C) based on the results of Michelson- Morley's experiment.

but when I investigated more carefully about this experiment I realized that the source of light emission which they used were fixed on the same Earth which the mirrors and detector were fixed on, (previously I thought that they were using a fixed star as a source of light or some thing like that) so there was no relative motion between the emitter and the detector how could fringes occur in this state?? What If we assumed that the light composed of particles, the results of this experiment could be easily explained just by Galilean transformations without using Lorentz transformation.

I searched the net and I found many other researches proves that of Michelson- Morley's demonstration has many fatal errors could not be trusted to prove any thing, e.g try this research (a pdf document).
also try this one http://www.Newtonphysics.on.ca/michelson/michelson.html

And also I found this site:
http://www.Newtonphysics.on.ca/index.html
the author of this site is a strong supporter of classical physics and he claims that time dilation, length contraction, perihelion of mercury, every thing could be explained by classical physics and even E=MC2 could be derived without using relativity concepts!

Now, at the end of this summer I'm near a bout to loss my confidence in relativity theory unless someone from this lovely forum save me.

My question is that does anyone has a strong evidence rather than Michelson- Morley's experiment to show me that C is the ultimate relative speed between any two objects even if they approach opposite direction to each other with a velocity more than 200000km/s?

And thank you
Please have a look at
Illustrating the Michelson-Morley experiment
Abstract: Considering that the rays in the Michelson-Morley interferometer perform the radar detection of its mirrors, we use a relativistic diagram that displays, at a convenient scale, their location and the path of the rays. This approach convinces us that the rays that come from the two arms interfere with zero phase difference without using the usual ingredient, length contraction.
Subjects: Physics Education (physics.ed-ph)
Cite as: arXiv:physics/0510178v1 [physics.ed-ph]
Critical comments are appreciated.
I think that the MM experiment is important because is puts under question the absolute character of lengthts and implicitly of time intervals.

Mentz114 said:
Pete, this is probably not the place to discuss the nature of photons since there are loads of threads about this. It seems to me that photons are not helpful when discussing Michelson-Morley.

Chapter 19, 'The Light-Quantum' in 'Subtle is the Lord' ( A.Pais) is worth a read.
Thanks. I've been anxious to read that book. I will look it up as you suggest. However do you believe that the interpretation Einstein was going by to be the modern in interpretation? I am not disagreeing with per se. Lamb seems to think that there are no such particles as a photon. Since he's a Nobel Laureate then I take his assertions seriously. Especially since he was part of the group of people who developed Q.E.D. Perhaps you're expressing exactly what Lamb has expressed in that article. If yoyu would like to read that article let me know and I'll find a way to get it to you.

Best wishes

Pete

Pete,
I've PM'd you about the Lamb stuff.

For anyone just browsing this, 'Subtle is the Lord' is a must read. Also Einstein's 1917 paper 'On the Quantum Theory of Radiation', where he shows that transfer of momentum between atom and 'photon' ( he never uses the word) is necessary and sufficient to give Planck's black-body distribution. One of the first papers to use h. It is translated and reprinted in 'Sources of Quantum Mechanics', Dover 1967, ed. Van Dr Waerden.

hunarahmad said:
My question is that does anyone has a strong evidence rather than Michelson- Morley's experiment to show me that C is the ultimate relative speed between any two objects even if they approach opposite direction to each other with a velocity more than 200000km/s?

And thank you

Hi Huna

I did some research and found an article that addresses your question. I place a PDF file of it in my other website.

Experimental Evidence for the Second Postulate of Special Relativity, J.G. Fox, Am. J. Phys, 30:29, Apr., 1962

Just click on - http://home.comcast.net/~peter.m.brown/Fox_1962.pdf

And you're all set.

Best wishes

Pete

Last edited by a moderator: