Michigan Loss to Michigan State

• News
  • Thread starter Chestermiller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loss State
In summary, Michigan lost to Michigan State in a football game, and the term "what goes around comes around" is an idiom that reminds one that if your team is better than another team now, some time in the future the other team will be better.
Chestermiller
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
2023 Award
History lesson from BIG BROTHER to little brother: What goes around comes around. :mad:

MICHIGAN: GO BLUE

Chet

Last edited:
Likes edward
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, one of these days we'll get those guys from Moo U. They've had a pretty good run the last several years, though. :H

Do I even want to know what the hell you're talking about?
Michigan is the state. How can it lose to itself, and what does it even have to lose? All that I can think of is when it lost terribly to us in the war of 1812. I still don't know why we gave it back, but given the bankruptcy of Detroit it was probably a good idea...

(And what do cows have to do with it?)

Danger said:
Do I even want to know what the hell you're talking about?
Michigan is the state. How can it lose to itself, and what does it even have to lose? All that I can think of is when it lost terribly to us in the war of 1812. I still don't know why we gave it back, but given the bankruptcy of Detroit it was probably a good idea...

I'm talking about a (American) football game that took place recently between the University of Michigan and Michigan State University. A few years ago, one of the Univ. of Michigan football players referred to Michigan State players as "little brother." This got the people at Michigan State very angry. Michigan has lost to Michigan State several times in the past few years, partly (presumably) because this comment incensed the MSU players. The term "what goes around comes around" is an idiom that reminds one that if your team is better than another team now, some time in the future the other team will be better, so don't rub it in now.

Chet

:DD

A ":p" smilie would have sufficed, Chet. My whole post was facetious. While I don't watch sports if given the option (and when I do it's Canadian ones), I figured that you were referring to one or another flavour of that. (I didn't realize that Michigan had enough smart people to support 2 universities, but that's just based upon the representatives that I've met on our side of the border.) I actually spent '65—'78 living just outside of Windsor, 35 miles south-east of Detroit.
I'm familiar with the term "what goes around comes around", although I've always found it a bit trite. It refers to karma, as in "I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma."

Danger said:

Michigan State U was founded (in 1855) as the Agricultural College of the State of Michigan and still has an agriculture school (more precisely, a College of Agriculture and Natural Resources), which the U of Michigan does not.

Last edited:
jtbell said:
Michigan State U was founded (in 1855) as the Agricultural College of the State of Michigan and still has an agriculture school (more precisely, a College of Agriculture and Natural Resources), which the U of Michigan does not.
Oh, okay. That makes sense, and I now consider the original "Moo U" comment funny. (It's a bit too late to lie down and laugh my guts out, but I am retroactively amused.)

1. Why did Michigan lose to Michigan State?

Michigan lost to Michigan State due to a combination of factors, including turnovers, penalties, and a strong performance by Michigan State's offense.

2. What were the key plays that led to Michigan's loss?

Some key plays that contributed to Michigan's loss include a fumble by the quarterback, an interception in the red zone, and a failed fourth down conversion attempt.

3. Did Michigan State's defense play a role in the loss?

Yes, Michigan State's defense played a crucial role in the loss by putting pressure on Michigan's offense and forcing turnovers.

4. How did the loss affect Michigan's ranking and chances for the playoffs?

The loss likely affected Michigan's ranking and chances for the playoffs, as they dropped in the rankings and may have a harder time securing a spot in the playoffs.

5. What can Michigan do to bounce back from this loss?

To bounce back from this loss, Michigan can focus on improving their performance in key areas such as turnovers and penalties, and continue to work on their game strategy and execution.