Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Microcontroller Project?

1. Jun 24, 2012 #1
    Hello all,

I am in need of a microcontroller. The only problem is that I do not know where to start as I have never used or programmed a microcontroller before.

I need the circuit to perform the following functions:

-Drive a coil
    -Scan through a range of frequencies
    -Be able to adjust duty cycle
    -Be able to gate the frequency on and off
    -Find the point of impedance match between the coil and load via a feedback coil and lock onto that frequency
    -Display the frequency

Does anyone have any suggestions of an easy place to start and an initial cost?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2012 #2
    Seems like you need to learn about micro-controllers in general.
    Start by searching for "PIC microcontroller tutorials" or "AVR microcontroller tutorials".
    Some of your problems would be trivial once you learn microcontrollers.

4. Jun 25, 2012 #3
  5. Jun 25, 2012 #4
    For first timers I always recommend and Arduino. The development software is free and you can have a working project that actually does something in less than 10 minutes. If you want to get into something more advanced, I recommend the Atmel avr suite of microcontrollers since the development software is free.

6. Jun 25, 2012 #5
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. A friend of mine also recommended buying an Atmel AVR so I guess that is the direction I will be going.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook