Strategies for Solving Mathematical 'Riddles' in Scholarship Tests

In summary: I can't say this enough, practice, practice, practice.In summary, the conversation discussed strategies for solving mathematical "riddles" similar to those found in Micromass' challenges. The speaker emphasized the importance of practice and trying multiple approaches to find a solution. They also suggested looking for symmetries and using simple numbers and graphing to gain insight. For more advanced tests, it is important to have a wide range of knowledge and the ability to think creatively.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
I took a test for a scholarship that had mathematical "riddles" just like Micromass' challenges. It was multiple choice and I guessed for some, but others I was able to do or at least use process of elimination. I didn't think I did that well, but I advanced to the second round. Could I have some strategies for doing these problems?

Problems were in the form:
There exists (some amount) of numbers that satisfy (some condition). What is the sum of the numbers?

How many ways can (this set) be arranged so (this condition) is satisfied?

And other things like that.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Isaac0427 said:
Could I have some strategies for doing these problems?
Practice is the best help. The interesting problems (something beyond the typical homework) are those that cannot be solved with the "one obvious step at a time" approach. You have to try something, if it does not seem to work stop and try something else, if that also does not work go back to the first approach or try a third approach, and so on. Sometimes multiple approaches can be combined to find a solution.

Hard to tell without an example at hand. One thing that often works, is to look out for symmetries of all kind. Either to reduce the amount of possibilities by identifying basically equal solutions, or to use them to analyse the objective function to have an additional condition in the toolbox.
Also Diophantine equations and integer problems may be solvable by passing them to modules ##p\mathbb{Z}##.

Another strategy is to explore using simple numbers like 0, 1 and 2 or 3 to see what an equation produces. Sometimes the insight gained is enough to eliminate some multi choices.

Also sometimes graphing things may help. I once took a test on the roots of complex numbers and didn't recall the formula but did remember the rotational symmetry of the roots. I graphed the problem with one root that I knew off hand and by symmetry was able to draw the others and to write down all of the roots.

For math genius level tests like the Putnam and MAA tests, be prepared to have worked a lot of different math problems and to have the ability to think outside of the box.

1. What is the Micromass challenge?

The Micromass challenge is a scientific competition that focuses on solving problems related to microscale phenomena and technologies. It is open to scientists, engineers, and students from various disciplines.

2. What types of challenges are included in the Micromass challenge?

The challenges in the Micromass challenge can range from theoretical problems to practical applications. They can involve designing new microscale devices, developing new methods for manipulating microscale particles, or solving complex problems related to microfluidics and microfabrication.

3. Who can participate in the Micromass challenge?

The Micromass challenge is open to anyone with an interest in microscale science and technology, including scientists, engineers, and students. Participants can work individually or in teams to solve the challenges.

4. How are the winners of the Micromass challenge determined?

The winners of the Micromass challenge are determined by a panel of judges who evaluate the submissions based on their creativity, feasibility, and scientific merit. The judges may also consider other criteria such as the potential impact of the solution and the quality of the presentation.

5. What are the benefits of participating in the Micromass challenge?

Participating in the Micromass challenge can provide an opportunity to showcase your skills and creativity in the field of microscale science and technology. It can also help you network with other scientists and engineers and potentially lead to new collaborations and opportunities. Additionally, winners of the challenge may receive recognition and prizes for their solutions.