Microprocessor Design: Navigating the Intersection of Hardware and Software

In summary, the conversation discusses the decision between pursuing a career in computer engineering or electronics, specifically focusing on the design and construction of microprocessors. The speaker suggests that if one is interested in designing microprocessors, they should concentrate on digital electronics, while semiconductor design is more relevant for physically constructing microprocessors. The role of a computer engineer is a mix between electrical engineering and computer science, and it is important to have knowledge of both.
GentBinaku
Okay I'm a second year electrical engineering student and will I'm thinking about going to deep down to the metal part of computers, I mean how to build microcontrollers and processor.I gave it some thought,and I looked at the computer engineering classes and all of them were about software building and such stuff ,also I looked at electronics and they were classes like digital electronics and microelectronics and I seemed more inclined to take the electronics classes rather than computer engineering. I'm asking which path should i take to become a computer engineer or what is the actually title for that line of work ?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the USA, "software engineering" is the term for designing and implementing software. If you want to design microprocessors you should concentrate on digital electronics. I don't know what words describe the discipline of physically constructing a microprocessor - tasks like etching wafers, attaching contacts etc.

There are two main parts of microprocessor design.
one is the digital part, which is determining the layout.
another is the semiconductor design, which very low level microelectronics analog circuit design, which is taking the schematics from the digital designer and actually doing the PWB design

the later is a semiconductors engineer. The former would be a computer engineer.
I am "kind of" a computer engineer atm (the work I do varies from week to week).
My degree was in electrical engineering. I took classes in vhdl, verilog, digital design, microelectronics, RTOS development, etc.
I also took controls, power electronics, etc, but those are not really relevant to CPE.

If you are interested in the hardware, I would stay with the hardware. But it is important to understand how the software works! Don't forget, computer engineering is a mix between EE and CS. Depending on the school, your CPE department may lean one way or the other.

1. What is the process of guidance in computer design?

The process of guidance in computer design involves identifying the goals and objectives of the project, conducting research and analysis, creating a design plan, and implementing and testing the design.

2. How do you choose the right computer design for a specific project?

Choosing the right computer design for a project involves considering the project requirements, budget, and timeline. It also involves understanding the target audience and their needs, as well as evaluating different design options and their potential impact on the project's success.

3. What are some common challenges in computer design and how do you address them?

Some common challenges in computer design include staying within budget, meeting deadlines, and ensuring the design meets the needs of the target audience. To address these challenges, it is important to communicate effectively with the project team, prioritize tasks, and regularly test and gather feedback on the design.

4. How do you incorporate user feedback into computer design?

Incorporating user feedback into computer design involves conducting user research, analyzing the data, and making informed design decisions based on the findings. It is important to listen to the needs and preferences of the target audience and make changes accordingly to ensure a user-friendly design.

5. How do you ensure a successful computer design project?

To ensure a successful computer design project, it is important to have a clear understanding of the project goals and objectives, communicate effectively with the project team, regularly test and gather feedback on the design, and make necessary adjustments based on the feedback. It is also important to stay organized, meet deadlines, and continuously evaluate the design against the project requirements.