Microswitch Voltage Usage Question

• Thread starter A_someone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a microswitch in a project, specifically in regards to its voltage requirements. It is mentioned that while most switches have high voltage requirements, it is possible to use them with lower voltages. The conversation also includes a note about the importance of checking both the DC and AC voltage and current ratings of a switch.
A_someone
I've been thinking of using a microswitch in a project of mine. The switch should indicate when something is hit. However the thing is the voltage requirements I've seen for most of them are really high compared to the rest of what I'm using, as in I'm getting requirements of of over 100 volts of either direct or alternating current while the sensors and motors (which seem much more complicated and voltage consuming to me) require far less

I also remember reading somewhere that the voltage listed on the switches was mainly an upper limit and lower voltages could work. Is this correct? If not, what are are good suggestions for cheap low voltage and current alternatives?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi A_someone! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

The voltage rating on a switch is just its maximum; you can use any mechanical switch on tiny voltages. So go ahead and use it. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
hi welcome to PF

as long as the voltage and current ratings of the switch are higher than what you intend to put through the switch, then you won't damage the switch

is say you circuit is 12V, it doesn't matter if the switch is rated at 50V 100V or 200V

NOTE... MOST switches have both a DC and an AC voltage and current rating

Dave

Oh wow, thanks a lot to both of you for being friendly and responding so quickly!

The voltage and current ratings being the maximum does make a bit more sense to me; this will be really useful.

1. What is a microswitch?

A microswitch is a type of electromechanical switch that is commonly used in electronic devices. It consists of a small spring-loaded lever that is activated by a small amount of force, such as the movement of a button or lever, and is designed to quickly and reliably make or break an electrical circuit.

2. How does a microswitch work?

A microswitch works by using a spring-loaded lever to make or break an electrical circuit. When the lever is pushed or moved, it compresses the spring and closes the switch, allowing electricity to flow through the circuit. When the lever is released, the spring pushes it back to its original position, breaking the circuit.

3. What is the voltage usage of a microswitch?

The voltage usage of a microswitch can vary depending on the specific model and application. However, most microswitches are designed to handle low voltage applications, typically ranging from 5V to 12V. It is important to always consult the manufacturer's specifications to ensure the correct voltage usage for your specific microswitch.

4. Can a microswitch handle high voltage?

No, most microswitches are not designed to handle high voltages. They are typically used in low voltage applications and may be damaged if subjected to high voltage. It is important to always use a microswitch within its specified voltage range to ensure proper functioning and to avoid potential damage.

5. How do I choose the right microswitch for my project?

Choosing the right microswitch for your project will depend on the specific requirements and specifications of your application. Some factors to consider include the voltage and current requirements, the size and shape of the switch, and the environmental conditions it will be used in. It is always recommended to consult with a professional or the manufacturer for assistance in selecting the right microswitch for your project.