A Closer Look at Microwave Pizzas & Their Cardboard Disks

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microwave
In summary: CDs next time I microwave something. I've never tried that before.The silvery cardboard thing is _absorbing_ the microwaves, so it gets hot. It is heating the pizza like a pan pizza is heated. This prevents the pizza crust from getting soggy.In summary, the cardboard disk that is used to cook mini microwave pizzas gets hot, but the cheese and toppings are still cold. To heat the toppings, the pizza must be taken off of the disk and put on a paper towel.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have been cooking these mini microwave pizzas lately and they come with a special round cardboard disk that you set the pizza on when you place it in the microwave. The top part of the cardboard disk has a silver-colored coating. I place this silver-side face up (per the directions), and put the pizza on top of it. The pizza almost completely covers the disk.
I have noticed that after a couple of minutes the pizza crust gets heated very well but the cheese and toppings are still cold. The only way to heat the topping is to take out the disk and put the pizza on a paper towel and then nuke it some more. Why is this? I know it's a silly question but I was wondering how the reflective material under the pizza is directing the microwaves. Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
The silvery cardboard thing is _absorbing_ the microwaves, so it gets hot. It is heating the pizza like a pan pizza is heated. This prevents the pizza crust from getting soggy.

Thanks.
I thought the silvery stuff would reflect microwaves instead of absorb them. Why aren't microwaves reflected the way visible light is reflected off shiny surfaces?

Because of the difference in frequency. Microwaves are a million times slower than visible light. The electrons in metals move with the electric field of the microwaves, as in a resistor. The field accelerates the electrons, they lose energy to the lattice, and the resistor gets warm.

But with visible light the electrons are wiggled back and forth many times before an interaction in which they lose energy to the lattice normally takes place, and this wiggling in its turn sets up the reflected wave.

That is so cool! I never knew that. Thanks, Pieter!

Metals get hot when microwaved, as Peter noted. I know this firsthand. My granny used to dry silverware in her microwave [she was in her 80's and a bit addled]. She set a number of dish towels on fire, but never blew up the microwave. I never did figure that out.

Chronos said:
Metals get hot when microwaved, as Peter noted. I know this firsthand. My granny used to dry silverware in her microwave [she was in her 80's and a bit addled]. She set a number of dish towels on fire, but never blew up the microwave. I never did figure that out.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I guess that silvery coating is specially formulated so it gets hot but not too hot. Microwaving something metal is something I always secretly wanted to do just to see what would happen. That, and licking a frozen flagpole in the dead of winter. :tongue2:

It's not such a terrible thing to put a metal object into the microwave for a little bit. It'll just get hot fast,'cause the fields are accelerating the elctrons, as Pieter explained. Microwaves are more robust than most people imagine...as chronos and his granny will testify.

I've played with putting different weird things into my microwave :

A large, rusty (and the rusty bit is essential) metal hammer sat in my microwave for about a minute. Nothing happened. :smile:

Air-blown soaps, like Ivory, are fun to put into a microwave. They fill the microwave with soap foam. :biggrin:

CDs are fun too...I've put countless AOL CDs in the microwave. :devil:

Some freshly cut fruits (lots of electrons in an electrolytic solution) are real good. A freshly gut grape (if cut just right) will ionize the air in the microwave and create a beatuful plasma ball in the microwave. Getting this to work repeatedly is a little hazardous to your microwave oven. :wink:

Wow! Gokul, you have given me lots of ideas for experiments. In the past, I have limited myself to the nuking of little green plastic army men. There's just a whole new world of things to play with! The grape thing sounds reallllly cool. I am getting a new microwave oven soon, so the old one can be abused a little.

What happens to the AOL CDs? Anything cool?

Math Is Hard said:
What happens to the AOL CDs? Anything cool?

Cool ?! : It's better than watching 4th of July fireworks ! :biggrin:

Raw egg still in the shell [very impressive]
Fresh banana still in the peel
one minute souffles [very tricky]
Fresh whole shrimp
Caviar
brass wire brush, paper towels, and oven cleaner [do not mw, just have available]

Pieter Kuiper said:
Because of the difference in frequency. Microwaves are a million times slower than visible light. The electrons in metals move with the electric field of the microwaves, as in a resistor. The field accelerates the electrons, they lose energy to the lattice, and the resistor gets warm.

But with visible light the electrons are wiggled back and forth many times before an interaction in which they lose energy to the lattice normally takes place, and this wiggling in its turn sets up the reflected wave.

Great! I need to know how this happens in more detail.Any links,pointers?

thanks

rhia: I cannot find much on the web. HyperPhysics explains resistivity in metals.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/ohmmic.html

In Nave's exampel of copper, the relaxation time [tex]\tau=\frac{m_e\sigma}{ne^2}= \frac{d}{v_F} = 2.5\times 10^{-14}[/tex] seconds.
This corresponds to frequencies in the near infrared.

The conductivity at high frequencies goes down around the inverse relaxation time and the phase of the response changes. The complex frequency-dependent conductivity can be expressed as
[tex]\sigma(\omega)=\frac{\sigma_0}{1-i\omega\tau}[/tex].

Last edited:
I put a boiled egg with the shell in the microwave once. I remember it was a pretty loud noise.

I put an egg in the microwave too years ago. It exploded as I was taking it out. It made a mess. Threre was egg everywhere, even on the ceiling. I would suggest that if you try this you wear goggles. I didn't do it as an experiment but just out of ignorance. (I am wiser now)

Gokul- How do you have to cut the grape?

My mom will kill me if she sees this.? :devil:

Cosmo16 said:
:rofl: :rofl: LMAO! :rofl: :rofl:

Cosmo16 said:
Gokul- How do you have to cut the grape?

At this point I disclaim any responsibility for the well-being of your microwave oven.

That said :

This has a low success rate, you may have to go through 3 or 4 grapes before you get one to work, but when it does, it's really worth it.

You'll need a good, sharp knife, so be careful.

1. Cut the (seedless) grape in half, and use one of the 2 halves,
2. Put this half-grape down, resting on its curved surface, with the flat (freshly cut surface) facing up towards you,
3. Cut this again, starting from the flat surface and slicing downwards (to the south pole), but stop just short of cutting it into 2 separate pieces,
4. Now you have 2 quarters, just barely attached to each other. Pull these quarters slightly apart, so they are not completely in contact. Do not separate them completely...you just want to create a small wedge-shaped air gap.

That should do it. Again, be careful !

Best of luck ! :wink:

I should also warn you, that this may leave a black burn mark on the inside of your microwave, if you're unlucky ! :grumpy:

PS : This just struck me...have you been trying the other objects out ? How did those work ?

Man reading a post like this on any other site would just be boring eh :)

To add some (serious) freakness to the topic:

How about introducing some radioactive material into the microwave?
What kind of interaccion should we expect?

The coolest thing i ever saw in a microwave was this. Fill a glass with milk, put an ordinary tungsten filament light bulb so that the metal part is completely immersed in the milk. Put the glass in the microwave and the bulb will light up!

It looks amazing, but still to this day I can't explain it, does anybody know why this works. (try it if you don't believe me - it will not damage your microwave or the bulb)

the light bulb thing sounds cool, but i can't understand how that could possibly ever work either. you need a flow of current, if both anode and cathode are in the electrolylte(milk) their shouldn't be any current flow. Unless the filament itself is being excided, and the milk is just a ground or something...

I suspect this may simply be from the ionization of the gas (argon?) in the bulb. The milk only serves as a coolant/protection from sparks - only guessing - as i can't see what other functional purpose it serves.

Try this with a broken (filament) bulb, and if it still glows, you can be sure it's not from a current in the filament.

Actually, I'm going to try this when I get home.

PS : I would not do this for too long...if you really heat up the gas in the bulb, might it not rupture at some point ?

OMG! I just tried this, but I suspended the light bulb in water instead of milk. It sure enough worked! I used a blue glass to see the glow better and it lit right up!

I am afraid to even suggest any truly weird microwave experiments. Obviously they will be tried.

Okay, I put a broken bulb into my microwave (for about 2 seconds), and it lit up, as expected. Now, I'm almost certain it's the ionization of the gas that does it.

Chronos, please don't hold back...but if there are dangers with any of your ideas, mention what such might be.

DISCLAIMER: Users of information in this post agree to and assume total responsibility for the consequences of anything that happens, including nothing: which is also the maximum extent of liability assumed by the poster.WARNING: risk of damage to microwave oven

1] wrap aluminum foil around a pencil forming a leak tight tube about 1/4" in diameter and 1" long. Prop or tape tube, open end up, in small ashtray or similar noncombustible object.

2] Soak toothpick in rubbing alchol and drop toothpick in tube. Place tube assembly in middle of microwave [toothpick up, of course]. Set microwave to Hi and timer to 30 seconds. Ignite toothpick, shut door and press 'Start'. Turn microwave off after first display [if any]

3]Repeat step 2, repositioning tube assembly, if no display.

Last edited:
DISCLAIMER: Users of information in this post agree to and assume total responsibility for the consequences of anything that happens, including nothing: which is also the maximum extent of liability assumed by the poster.
WARNING: risk of damage to microwave oven

Place small ball [~1" diameter] of steel wool on pyrex saucer. Cook 30 seconds on Hi.

I've cooked steel wool before so the fiery toothpick it is !

Fluffy the steel wool up a bit and add a tiny bit of graphite powder under it [pencil lead shavings].

Gokul43201 said:
Okay, I put a broken bulb into my microwave (for about 2 seconds), and it lit up, as expected. Now, I'm almost certain it's the ionization of the gas that does it..

if it's a broken bulb it there will be no gas but regular air in it, since it diffused out, the microwaves are the exact frequency for tungsten so it exites it's electrons to a diffrent orbital, and as they go down to ground state, or a diffrent orbital it emits a photon.

also the argon gas is inert and is only added there so the metal filament will not react. if you put regular air (ie oxygen-nitrogen) mix, the filament most surely will react with the oxygen quickly and it wouldn't last very long. ionization how youre talking about would only apply to neon lights where you have a gas and electricity is run through, but no filament involved

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
\ The only way to heat the topping is to take out the disk and put the pizza on a paper towel and then nuke it some more. Why is this?

this is because a microwave works because the frequency of vibration of water molecules is exactly equal that of microwaves, so when you have two alike frequencies and you match them up, you create constructed interference. I mean for example visible light has a lot more engergy than microwaves, but they do not have the right frequency.

this constructive interference then exites the molecules of water so that they heat up. the disk absorbs the microwaves and heats up, then it radiates it's heat onto the pizza, this is how a convention oven works. however the crust heats up at diffrent rates than the topings, which contain a lot of water. so when you take the disk, then the water molecules can get excited since the disk no longer shields them, and thus heat up.

this is how popcorn works. there is water inside the kernel, now the microwaves make the water vibrate higher, since it's the frequency, thus increasing it's engergy, so then this water turns into vapor, and it builds enough pressure to eventually pop the kerne.

Has anyone tried microwaving a flourescent light bulb? I guess finding one that fits would be a challenge.

Gramma Chronos' silverware

"...My granny used to dry silverware in her microwave ..."

I can see her missing the light show going on inside the microwave, but once she took her silverware out, didn't she ever wonder about the invisible dwarf woodpeckers that nested inside her microwave and ate holes in the silverware?

(They would have become heavily pockmarked as bits of silver were vapourized.)