A Closer Look at Microwave Pizzas & Their Cardboard Disks

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microwave
In summary: CDs next time I microwave something. I've never tried that before.The silvery cardboard thing is _absorbing_ the microwaves, so it gets hot. It is heating the pizza like a pan pizza is heated. This prevents the pizza crust from getting soggy.In summary, the cardboard disk that is used to cook mini microwave pizzas gets hot, but the cheese and toppings are still cold. To heat the toppings, the pizza must be taken off of the disk and put on a paper towel.
Indeed...I threw a plastic jar of peanut butter straight from the fridge into the microwave for around 15-20 seconds, just to make it easier to spread, and next thing I knew there was a popping noise and the whole inside of the microwave was lit up. What was it? A tiny bit of the foil used to seal the top of the jar still left around its rim... :eek:

Science news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard Has anyone tried microwaving a flourescent light bulb? I guess finding one that fits would be a challenge.

Flourescent bulbs, they explode on their own without much trouble, do you really want a microwave bomb.

Ba said:
Flourescent bulbs, they explode on their own without much trouble, do you really want a microwave bomb.
Maybe! :biggrin:

Wow, this is a fascinating thread! Since I've just loaned out my only spare microwave, and am sure my homeowner's insurance doesn't cover things I explode in the microwave on purpose, I think I'll skip trying any of the demos suggested.

Though, MIH, that silvery thingy is supposed to give you a crispy crust. The people who make those pizzas are supposed to make it just so that you get a hot pizza throughout with a crispy bottom. If the bottom of your pizza is burning while the top is still frozen, look for that questions/complaints number on the box and tell them. They might listen and do a better job getting everything made in a shape/way that will get it to cook more evenly, or, at worst, they do nothing but send you a coupon for a free replacement pizza.

Not too long back, Mythbusters devoted a segment to fun with microwave ovens. A sheet of aluminum foil did nothing, while a ball of foil generated a light show. Something abou the availability of irregular surfaces. They also took a run at the "explosive water" legend, proving it to be false with regard to ordinary tap water and true with regard to distilled.

Just for luck, I take the Alton Brown approach and put a chopstick in the water to give the bubbles something to climb.

More fun with Microwaves:
http://www.powerlabs.org/uwavexp.htm
the Ball Lightning experiments are fascinating.

I have not heard of this "exploding water" business. Must go find out what that's all about...

Moonbear, you're right. I should see if I can get some free coupons or something from the frozen dinner company.

GroupCaptainMandrake said:
Not too long back, Mythbusters devoted a segment to fun with microwave ovens. A sheet of aluminum foil did nothing, while a ball of foil generated a light show. Something abou the availability of irregular surfaces. They also took a run at the "explosive water" legend, proving it to be false with regard to ordinary tap water and true with regard to distilled.

Just for luck, I take the Alton Brown approach and put a chopstick in the water to give the bubbles something to climb.

Ah...someone else who enjoys Mythbusters and Alton Brown ! :biggrin:

Within the last week, I was talking to my wife while she heated water for a cup'a. As I watched she removed the cup of hot water from the microwave and introduced a spoonful of powder. The water instantly foamed into a grapefruit sized ball sitting on top of the cup which lasted for only an instant. The end result was that the more then half of the cup of water was on the counter top. If I had not seen it with my own eyes I am not sure I would have believed it.

Integral, what the heck was that powder?

Math Is Hard said:
Integral, what the heck was that powder?
It was one of the flavors of the International Coffee brand.

She mixes this same thing up nearly everyday, this is the first time an explosion has occurred.

theriddler876 said:
if it's a broken bulb it there will be no gas but regular air in it, since it diffused out, the microwaves are the exact frequency for tungsten so it exites it's electrons to a diffrent orbital, and as they go down to ground state, or a diffrent orbital it emits a photon.

also the argon gas is inert and is only added there so the metal filament will not react. if you put regular air (ie oxygen-nitrogen) mix, the filament most surely will react with the oxygen quickly and it wouldn't last very long. ionization how youre talking about would only apply to neon lights where you have a gas and electricity is run through, but no filament involved
I read "broken" to mean burnt out with the bulb still in tact. Argon can be ionized, this should result in emission of light.

Perhaps this should be done with a clear bulb. You could then tell if the light is comming from the gas or the filiment. My bet is on the gas.

Integral said:
It was one of the flavors of the International Coffee brand.

She mixes this same thing up nearly everyday, this is the first time an explosion has occurred.

Recnetly I have been doing scentifc studies to expalin all these phenomenon by phyiscs governing laws.

when liquid materials are subjected to Microwave, the product temeprature rise continously beyond the boiling point. Once you put external object in the superheated liquid, it breaks down the equilibirum and the liquid starts to boil. In scientic jargon it is called Boiling eruption.

Pieter Kuiper said:
Microwaves are a million times slower than visible light.
Huh? Er.. No! The microwaves I use definitely travel at the speed of light! Maybe you mean the net electron drift in conductors.

GTrax said:
Huh? Er.. No! The microwaves I use definitely travel at the speed of light! Maybe you mean the net electron drift in conductors.

I think he was referring to the frequency of the wave.

-Kerry

From a microwave pizza to bulbs and what-not in the microwave this is crazy, are you going to start talking Tesla-coils on me now? Cause that would be really interesting...

And to try to revive this thread again because of its interestingness:

All of this weird stuff happens in the microwaves because of the magnetron making the microwaves of course, it would be really interesting too if everyone could start making more complex chemical reactions inside the microwave oven, i.e. gas ionization, extraction of Hydrogen from H2O maybe(not saying is possible, but interesting), who knows maybe someone will revolutionize the way we think about our slacker-cooking-machine, and then everyone will have two MW ovens in their home, one in the kitchen(obviously) and one in the basement lab. That would be really funny making complex reaction with microwaves... anyways ill stop my blatant now and let you guys keep at it...

Math Is Hard said:
Has anyone tried microwaving a flourescent light bulb? I guess finding one that fits would be a challenge.

Compact fluorescents. You need to snap the base apart and separate the electronics from the tube (usually, you can just pry the base halves apart at the seam with a thin-bladed screwdriver--it just snaps together). The tube alone will not explode. The glass, however, can get very hot and even melt if left in too long. At that point, it'll just pop and all the gas will escape (warning: contains small amounts of mercury vapor) and the show's over.