Mini Hovercraft DIY: Build an 8''x3'' Craft with 9-Volt Batteries

• Thread starter alex caps
  • Start date
In summary: V one. power it from 6 or 7 'AA' rechargeable cells (I know that's more than 6V, but it will be OK) use a Gunther 5.5x3.5 propeller. These can be reversed depending on which way you wire the motor to run, and whether you want the propeller to suck or blow. You can buy the motor (about $5) and propeller ($2) from a model shop. The rechargeable cells and a charger you can also get at a model shop, or Wall Mart etc. You will also need a battery holder, some wire, a 5A switch, and the tools and skill to do some simple
Well, instead of mucking around with calculations I've decided to approach it the other way. I built a manometer, and used it to measure the maximum pressure that my leafblower can produce, which is in turn the maximum pressure there is going to be inside my skirt. It worked out to be around 3900 Pa, which divided by 9.8 (N to kg) then multiplied by 1.13 (area of my base) turns out to be about 450 kg! Of course, this is only theoretical, as by then my skirt would probably have blown up, among other things. It works out too, as with only 40 kg on the hovercraft (including it's own weight), the water in the manometer moves about 1/11 of the distance it did with just the leafblower attached. It also means I can work out the rider's weight to within about 5 kg.
I found this project very interesting. Next time round I'm going to try fiddling with different skirt designs. At the moment I've got a simple wall skirt with a lead string at the bottom (200g/m), but I'm curious to try out the type at http://www.amasci.com/amateur/hovercft.html. I'm thinking perhaps that one would be more stable, but you'd have to muck about replacing the skirt more. Any comments? Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hovercraft race !

Hi everyone,

M supposed to build a hovercraft for a race. I want your help. I understood the basic concept of a hovercraft. This hovercraft need not have anyone to align it. It shud go alone, without a load.

length and breadth limits are 70 and 40 cms respectively. IC engine of less than 3.5 cc must be used OR motor or less than 12volts supply must be used.

the race track is completely straight. Pls help me out wid the best design possible. I am from India, so anyone who has already done it, pls help me out. Where do I get Balsa wood?

Gambit said:
70 and 40 cms respectively.

Look up examples here:
http://rc-hovercrafts.com/phpBB2/index.php?sid=1eb821416eb3b0486fc5a7a26c6c225a

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Balsa (Ochroma pyramidale) is native to the tropical Americas.

Kapok (Ceiba pentandra) grows in the rainforests of Africa and the Americas (except the Canadian rainforest). It is lighter and standard in life preservers. You could cut open a worn out life praserver.

Indian Kapok (Bombax, 3 species) is darker and heavier than the life preservers.

We flew to Denver for a few days. This was my seven-year olds first flight. On the fourth of July, in the childrens' activities room he built a hovercraft.
styrene foam plate (Solid thin plastic would be more durable, but many have fancy edges.)
plastic cup 12 ounce (bottom cut out)
propeller
motor (Looks likes something Radio Shack would sell.)
9 volt battery
2 popsicle sticks
rubber band

Since we have been to an air show. Then he built paper airplanes, lots and lots, both from the Internet and on his own. I could add a paper clip or trim them some, to get them to fly.

Then he discovered origami. He did some decorative, then a face, followed by a bird. Its maiden voyage was Sunday.

Larry Wallace
Cincinnati

Last edited:
Two nine volt batteries will get if off the ground a fraction of an inch. The air has to escape.
A full size helicopter can carry 4 times its rated capacity, but won't get more than 10 feet high.