Finding the Minimum Hypotenuse of a Right Angled Triangle | Hypotenuse Homework

• Thread starter cpashok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minima
In summary, the hypotenuse is the longest line segment that connects a point on the hypotenuse to either of the other two points on the triangle. The maximum length of the hypotenuse is the sum of the distances a^(2/3) and b^(2/3).
cpashok

Homework Statement

a and b are two perpendiculars drawn to the sides from a point on the hypotenuse of a right angled, isoceles triangle.

Find the minimum value of the hypotenuse in terms of a and b.

Homework Equations

ABC is a right angled, isoceles triangle, with AC, the hypotenuse, h.

X is a point on AC, from which the perpendiculars a and b are drawn to the sides AB and BC respectively.

AB = BC= h / (sq.root 2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried to represent h in terms of a single variable (some angle theta and trigonometric ratios of theta). This would eliminate two variables a and b. With this, h can be differentiated and equated to zero for Minima, and confirming it with 2nd derivative. But could not manage eliminating a and b and converting to a single variable equation.

Attachments

• Maths.GIF
    Maths.GIF
    1.2 KB · Views: 543
Physics news on Phys.org
cpashok said:

Homework Statement

a and b are two perpendiculars drawn to the sides from a point on the hypotenuse of a right angled, isoceles triangle.

Homework Equations

ABC is a right angled, isoceles triangle, with AC, the hypotenuse, h.

X is a point on AC, from which the perpendiculars a and b are drawn to the sides AB and BC respectively.

AB = BC= h / (sq.root 2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried to represent h in terms of a single variable (some angle theta and trigonometric ratios of theta). This would eliminate two variables a and b. With this, h can be differentiated and equated to zero for Minima, and confirming it with 2nd derivative. But could not manage eliminating a and b and converting to a single variable equation.

Since this is an isosceles right triangle, theta = pi/4, which it doesn't seem you have used. I don't know whether this is a helpful clue.

Mark44 said:
Since this is an isosceles right triangle, theta = pi/4, which it doesn't seem you have used. I don't know whether this is a helpful clue.

Hi! Thanks for your time. I was not referring to theta as angle BAC or BCA, which is pi/4. For a point X, a and b are fixed, and are related (except that I am unable to figure it out straight). If I can represent h as an equation of a alone, or b alone, or some other variable theta on which a and b are dependent, then I can differentiate h and equate to 0 for Minima. This is where I am stuck. Or, is there some other way?

Why is the attachment pending approval?
why is my question being unanswered?
Believe me i tried my best before posting up the question here.
Somebody please help me?

cpashok said:
Why is the attachment pending approval?
All attachments are screened by site admin before they are approved to be hosted at PF. This sometimes takes days, so it is quicker for you to host the image file at a free hosting site like imageshack.us and simply post a link to the image.

why is my question being unanswered?

Until we can view your attached file, we have no way of knowing where your mistakes might be.

cpashok said:

Homework Statement

This question doesn't make sense to me; the length of the hypotenuse doesn't actually depend on 'a' and 'b', so it can't be minimized with respect to those variables.

Are you sure the question isn't "Find the minimum length of the line segment AX in terms of a and b"?

Is there more to the question than what you have posted here?

gabbagabbahey said:
This question doesn't make sense to me; the length of the hypotenuse doesn't actually depend on 'a' and 'b', so it can't be minimized with respect to those variables.

Yes you're right. I went to school today and got the question sorted out, it wasn't isosceles. A friend of mine verbally stated out the question he had picked up from some guide book, and I seem to have taken it down wrongly, mixed up multiple questions!

Sorry about that. I panicked as I had an exam today!

The correct question is:

A point on the hypotenuse is at a distance a and b from the sides of the triangle. show that the maximum length of hypotenuse is (a^(2/3) +b^(2/3))^(3/2).

btw, i had this question on the exam and i solved it correctly.

I sincerely apologize for this mistake once again.
Thanks for your help.

1. What is a "Minima of Hypotenuse"?

The "Minima of Hypotenuse" refers to the minimum value of the hypotenuse of a right triangle. In other words, it is the shortest possible length of the longest side in a right triangle.

2. How is the minima of hypotenuse calculated?

The minima of hypotenuse can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. So, to find the minima of hypotenuse, we simply take the square root of the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

3. Why is the minima of hypotenuse important?

The minima of hypotenuse is an important concept in mathematics and geometry because it allows us to find the shortest distance between two points that are not directly connected. It is also used in various real-life applications, such as engineering, architecture, and navigation.

4. Can the minima of hypotenuse be negative?

No, the minima of hypotenuse cannot be negative. Since it is a measurement of length, it can only have positive values. If the calculation results in a negative value, it means that the triangle is not a right triangle and does not have a hypotenuse.

5. How does the minima of hypotenuse relate to the concept of minimum value?

The minima of hypotenuse is essentially the minimum value of the hypotenuse in a right triangle. It is the smallest possible value that the hypotenuse can have. This concept is similar to finding the minimum value in a set of data, where we are trying to find the smallest value in the set.