Minimal Special Relativity - Reciprocity of Time Dilation

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to prove time dilation as a reciprocal effect using the Postulates of Minimal Relativity Theory. The equations and assumptions surrounding the transformations T and X are explored, with a focus on proving that \frac{dt}{dt'}=\frac{dt'}{dt}. The relevant equations and quantities necessary for this proof are identified and discussed.
VVS
Hello,
I hope somebody can help me with this question.

Homework Statement

I have to prove that time dilation is a reciprocal effect by only using the Postulates of Minimal Relativity Theory:
1. Let I be an inertial frame, then I' moving with a constant velocity in a rectilinear motion with respect to I will also be an inertial frame.
2. The transformation from I to I' is continuous in v.
3. The motion is reciprocal. If I' moves with v wrt to I then I moves with -v wrt to I'

2. Homework Equations

I formulated transformations from I to I' through the following equations:
[itex]t'=T(x,v,t)[/itex]
[itex]x'=X(x,v,t)[/itex]
[itex]t=T(x',-v,t')[/itex]
[itex]x=X(x',-v,t')[/itex]
Where x,x',v,v' are vector quantities.
Now here are a few questions I have regarding some assumptions we can make about the transformations T and X:
I read that one of the conditions for an inertial frame is that it describes time and space homogeneously and isotropically. My question is whether the transformation T and X will then have to be linear mappings in x and t to conserve homogeneity and isotropy? Is there non-linear mapping which fulfils these criterions?

The Attempt at a Solution

So basically i used the relativity principle and differentiated the x and x' equation wrt to t and t' respectively.
Where x is the position of frame I wrt. I' and x' the position of frame I' wrt I.

[itex]\frac{dx'}{dt'}=\left(v\nabla X(x,v,t)+\frac{\partial X(x,v,t)}{\partial t}\right)\frac{dt}{dt'}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{dx}{dt}=\left(-v\nabla ' X(x',-v,t')+\frac{\partial X(x',-v,t')}{\partial t'}\right)\frac{dt'}{dt}[/itex]
By the principle of relativity we know that:
[itex]\frac{dx'}{dt'}=-\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]
And I bascially want to prove:
[itex]\frac{dt}{dt'}=\frac{dt'}{dt}[/itex]
Unity might be a solution but there is another solution which seems paradoxical, but is actually not if you keep in mind that t and t' each mean two different things on both sides of the equation.

If I don't rotate I' wrt to I then [itex]\nabla X(x,v,t)=\nabla ' X(x',-v,t')[/itex]
My guess is that if i rotated it then I would also have to rotate v in the other direction and the rotation matrices would cancel. Then somehow I need to show that:
[itex]\frac{\partial X(x,v,t)}{\partial t}=-\frac{\partial X(x',-v,t')}{\partial t'}[/itex]
From the Lorentz transformation I know that this is true. since the only term which contains a t in the x' transformation is the vt term. But I don't know whether it is a valid argument to say that X will have to be a linear combination of terms of which one is vt.

Physics news on Phys.org
VVS said:
Hello,
I hope somebody can help me with this question.

Homework Statement

I have to prove that time dilation is a reciprocal effect by only using the Postulates of Minimal Relativity Theory:
1. Let I be an inertial frame, then I' moving with a constant velocity in a rectilinear motion with respect to I will also be an inertial frame.
2. The transformation from I to I' is continuous in v.
3. The motion is reciprocal. If I' moves with v wrt to I then I moves with -v wrt to I'

2. Homework Equations

I formulated transformations from I to I' through the following equations:
[itex]t'=T(x,v,t)[/itex]
[itex]x'=X(x,v,t)[/itex]
[itex]t=T(x',-v,t')[/itex]
[itex]x=X(x',-v,t')[/itex]
Where x,x',v,v' are vector quantities.
Now here are a few questions I have regarding some assumptions we can make about the transformations T and X:
I read that one of the conditions for an inertial frame is that it describes time and space homogeneously and isotropically. My question is whether the transformation T and X will then have to be linear mappings in x and t to conserve homogeneity and isotropy? Is there non-linear mapping which fulfils these criterions?

The Attempt at a Solution

So basically i used the relativity principle and differentiated the x and x' equation wrt to t and t' respectively.
Where x is the position of frame I wrt. I' and x' the position of frame I' wrt I.

[itex]\frac{dx'}{dt'}=\left(v\nabla X(x,v,t)+\frac{\partial X(x,v,t)}{\partial t}\right)\frac{dt}{dt'}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{dx}{dt}=\left(-v\nabla ' X(x',-v,t')+\frac{\partial X(x',-v,t')}{\partial t'}\right)\frac{dt'}{dt}[/itex]
By the principle of relativity we know that:
[itex]\frac{dx'}{dt'}=-\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]
And I bascially want to prove:
[itex]\frac{dt}{dt'}=\frac{dt'}{dt}[/itex]
Unity might be a solution but there is another solution which seems paradoxical, but is actually not if you keep in mind that t and t' each mean two different things on both sides of the equation.

If I don't rotate I' wrt to I then [itex]\nabla X(x,v,t)=\nabla ' X(x',-v,t')[/itex]
My guess is that if i rotated it then I would also have to rotate v in the other direction and the rotation matrices would cancel. Then somehow I need to show that:
[itex]\frac{\partial X(x,v,t)}{\partial t}=-\frac{\partial X(x',-v,t')}{\partial t'}[/itex]
From the Lorentz transformation I know that this is true. since the only term which contains a t in the x' transformation is the vt term. But I don't know whether it is a valid argument to say that X will have to be a linear combination of terms of which one is vt.

The two relevant equations here are:
  1. t' = T(x,v,t)
  2. t = T(x', -v, t')
So if we use 1. to compute [itex]\frac{dt'}{dt}[/itex], then we get:
[itex]\frac{dt'}{dt} = \frac{\partial T}{\partial x} \frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{\partial T}{\partial v} \frac{d v}{d t} + \frac{\partial T}{\partial t}[/itex]
[itex] = \frac{\partial T}{\partial x} \frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{\partial T}{\partial t}[/itex] (because [itex]v[/itex] is constant)

If we use 2. to compute [itex]\frac{dt}{dt'}[/itex], then we get something similar.

The only things left to figure out are two quantities: [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{dx'}{dt'}[/itex]. But you have to think about what this means. In the first case, [itex]x(t)[/itex] is the x-position of a clock that is at rest in primed coordinate system. If it is at rest in the primed coordinate system, then what is its speed in the unprimed coordinate system? So what is [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] for such a clock?

In the second case, [itex]x'(t')[/itex] is the x'-position of a clock that is at rest in the unprimed coordinate system. Then what is [itex]\frac{dx'}{dt'}[/itex]?

1. What is minimal special relativity?

Minimal special relativity is a modified version of the theory of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in uniform motion. However, minimal special relativity also takes into account the concept of reciprocity, which means that the effects of time dilation are symmetrical for both observers.

2. How does minimal special relativity differ from traditional special relativity?

In traditional special relativity, time dilation is asymmetrical, meaning that the time experienced by a moving observer is slower compared to a stationary observer. However, in minimal special relativity, the effects of time dilation are symmetrical, meaning that both observers experience a slowing of time.

3. What is the reciprocity of time dilation?

The reciprocity of time dilation refers to the symmetrical effects of time dilation in minimal special relativity. This means that the time experienced by two observers in relative motion will be different, but the effects will be symmetrical, with each observer experiencing a slowing of time relative to the other.

4. How does the concept of reciprocity impact our understanding of time dilation?

The concept of reciprocity allows us to understand that the effects of time dilation are not one-sided, but rather a symmetrical phenomenon. This helps us to better understand the relativity of time and how it is affected by the relative motion of observers.

5. What are the implications of minimal special relativity for our understanding of the universe?

Minimal special relativity has important implications for our understanding of the universe, as it provides a more complete and symmetrical understanding of time dilation. This theory helps to explain phenomena such as the twin paradox and provides a deeper understanding of the relativity of time and space.