Minimizing energy for external field

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of perturbation theory to examine the energy of a charged particle near a carbon ring with 6 carbon atoms. The question is whether it is enough to minimize the energy of the total Hamiltonian, which includes both the Huckel hamiltonian and a simple Coulomb potential. The answer is that this method will work as long as the charged particle is far enough away.
ftft
Hi, I have solved the Huckel hamiltonina for a carbon ring of 6 carbon atoms and now I want to place a charged particle near the ring and examine the energy versus the position of the charged particle using a simple Coulomb potential V(r), i.e the total hamiltoian is Huckel+V(r).

My question is, since I already have the solution for the first part, and since the second part is a one-particle operator, is it enough to minimize the energy for the second part only? I mean to find the minimum of the sum of the <i|V(r)|i>?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you want to do is basically perturbation theory, so it will work so long as V(r) can be seen as a perturbation, i.e., when the charged particle is far enough away.

1. What is the concept of minimizing energy for external field?

The concept of minimizing energy for external field refers to the process of reducing the energy required to maintain or create a specific external field, such as an electric or magnetic field. This can be achieved through various methods such as optimizing the design of the field-generating system or using materials with lower energy requirements.

2. Why is minimizing energy for external field important?

Minimizing energy for external field is important because it can lead to significant cost savings and improve overall efficiency in various applications. It can also reduce the environmental impact of energy consumption and extend the lifespan of equipment.

3. What are some examples of applications where minimizing energy for external field is crucial?

Some examples of applications where minimizing energy for external field is crucial include electric motors, transformers, generators, and electronic devices. In these cases, reducing energy requirements can lead to improved performance, increased reliability, and lower operating costs.

4. How do scientists and engineers work towards minimizing energy for external field?

Scientists and engineers work towards minimizing energy for external field through a combination of research, design, and testing. This may involve developing new materials, optimizing the design of field-generating systems, and implementing energy-saving technologies.

5. What are the potential challenges in minimizing energy for external field?

Some potential challenges in minimizing energy for external field include finding the right balance between energy efficiency and performance, overcoming technological limitations, and ensuring cost-effectiveness. Additionally, there may be trade-offs between minimizing energy and other design considerations, such as size and weight.