Minimum Angular Velocity Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the minimum angular velocity for a massless rope with a bob attached, and determining the time it takes for the bob to reach the top position when starting from the lowest position at rest. The first part calculates the minimum angular velocity to keep the rope taut, while the second part uses the equation ω = 2 x t rad/s = √(g/L) to find the time at which the bob reaches the top position. The final answer for the time is 1.58 seconds.
Clearik
First off, I want to apologize for posting more than one question. I just discovered this site, so I wanted to check my work while I am able to. Thank you again.

Homework Statement

A massless rope of length L = 1 m is swung in the vertical plane, with a bob of mass m = 1 kg attached to its end.

(a) Calculate the minimum angular velocity ωmin that the bob of must have to keep the rope taut at every point in the trajectory.

(b) Assume now that the bob starts from the lowest position (θ = 0) at rest, and the angular velocity follows

ω = 2 x t rad s-1

Calculate the time at which the bob reaches the top position.

Homework Equations

Fc = (m)(v2/R)

R = L

Fc = (m)(v2/L)

v = (L)(ω)

Fc = (m)((Lω)2/L)

Fc = (m)((L)2(ω)2/L)

Fc = (m)((L)(ω)2)

At the top of the circle:
(m)((L)(ω)2) = (m)(g)

((L)(ω)2) = (g)

ω = √(g/L)

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) ω = √(10/1)
ω = 3.16 rad/s

Did I go about doing this correctly?

(b) I wasn't quite sure on how to start this part. I know that 1 radian is half a revolution. Therefore, to reach the top from the bottom (half a revolution), the time it takes t would have to be how long it takes to go one radian. Plugging in .5 yields 1 in the equation given in part b, but I don't know if this is correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1 radian does not equal half of one revolution.

∏ radians equals one half of one revolution.

Beyond that point, what exactly is the question in part b?

mic* said:
Beyond that point, what exactly is the question in part b?

Oh, sorry, I forgot to add it, it's there now.

Hmmm, I'm not the greatest with pendulum stuff.

Perhaps, since you know that;

2 x t rad s-1 = ω = √(g/L)

You might be able to get a result from that?

So perhaps;

2 x t rad/s = 3.16 rad/s
t = 1.58 seconds?

Does that make sense?

Related to Minimum Angular Velocity Problem

1. What is the Minimum Angular Velocity Problem?

The Minimum Angular Velocity Problem is a mathematical problem that involves determining the minimum angular velocity required for an object to maintain its position on a rotating surface. It is often used in engineering and physics to calculate the minimum speed needed to prevent an object from sliding or slipping on a curved or inclined surface.

2. How is the Minimum Angular Velocity calculated?

The Minimum Angular Velocity is calculated using the formula: ωmin = √(g * tanθ / r), where g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the surface, and r is the distance from the object's center of mass to the axis of rotation. This formula can be derived from the equation for centripetal force and the coefficient of friction.

3. What factors affect the Minimum Angular Velocity?

The Minimum Angular Velocity is affected by several factors such as the mass and shape of the object, the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface, the angle of the surface, and the distance from the object's center of mass to the axis of rotation. These factors all play a role in determining the minimum speed required for the object to maintain its position.

4. Why is the Minimum Angular Velocity important?

The Minimum Angular Velocity is important because it helps engineers and scientists determine the necessary speed to prevent an object from slipping or sliding on a rotating surface. This is crucial in designing and analyzing various systems, such as amusement park rides, rotating machinery, and vehicles on curved or inclined roads.

5. How is the Minimum Angular Velocity used in real-life applications?

The Minimum Angular Velocity is used in many real-life applications, such as designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides, calculating the speed needed for a car to safely navigate a curved road, and determining the minimum speed necessary for a satellite to maintain its orbit around a planet. It is also used in the analysis of rotating machinery, such as turbines and engines, to ensure they operate safely and efficiently.