Minimum deaceleration untll the car stops

• Thread starter forensicchemgirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Minimum
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a car that needs to stop on a shoulder of a road. The question asks for the required magnitude of the minimum acceleration and the time it will take for the car to stop. The equation used is a=v^2/2x and it is mentioned to convert from miles per hour to meters per second.
forensicchemgirl
what am i doing wrong??
every time i try to answer this i get t=.2s and a=-1651ms^-2

the problem reads...
A car traveling at 25mi/h is to stop on a 35m-long shoulder of the road. (a) What is the required magnitude of he minimum acceleration? (b)How much time will elapse during this minimum deaceleration untll the car stops.

i used the equation...
a=v^2/2x

Physics news on Phys.org
i think the first time is to convert 25mi/h into meters per second.

~Amy

Yes, use 1 mile =1.6km, and don't forget to convert to m/s, so you need to change out of km/h. 1h=3600s. That equation is right.

yes i did convert to m/s wrong thanks for the help.:smile: :-p

FAQ: Minimum deaceleration untll the car stops

1. How is minimum deceleration calculated?

The minimum deceleration required to stop a car is calculated by dividing the initial velocity (in m/s) by the stopping distance (in meters).

2. What factors affect the minimum deceleration of a car?

The minimum deceleration of a car is affected by the initial velocity, mass of the car, and the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road surface.

3. Can the minimum deceleration vary for different cars?

Yes, the minimum deceleration can vary for different cars depending on their mass, initial velocity, and other factors such as tire conditions and road surface.

4. How does air resistance affect the minimum deceleration of a car?

Air resistance can further decrease the minimum deceleration required to stop a car, as it acts as a counterforce to the motion of the car and reduces the force of friction between the tires and the road.

5. Is there a maximum deceleration limit for a car to stop?

Yes, there is a maximum deceleration limit for a car to stop safely without causing damage or injury. This limit is determined by the car's braking system and the physical limits of the car and its passengers.