Minimum Work Needed to Bring 2 charges from distance infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses two charged particles that are brought together from a great distance (r=infinity) to a distance of 2 m. One particle has a positive charge of 3.0 x 10^-5 C and the second has a negative charge of 1.35 x 10^-5 C. The question is the minimum work that was accomplished in this process and the person is struggling to set up the equation and solve it. It is suggested to consider the change in potential energy of the system and use equations relating to force and work.
KMc19
Two charged particles are brought together from a great distance (r=infinity) to a distance of 2 m. The particle has a positive charge of 3.0 x 10^-5 C and the second has a negative charge of 1.35 x 10^-5 C. What minimum work was accomplished in this process?

I can't for the life me figure out how I should set up the equation and solve!
Please help, it's driving me crazy!

Physics news on Phys.org

KMc19 said:
Two charged particles are brought together from a great distance (r=infinity) to a distance of 2 m. The particle has a positive charge of 3.0 x 10^-5 C and the second has a negative charge of 1.35 x 10^-5 C. What minimum work was accomplished in this process?

I can't for the life me figure out how I should set up the equation and solve!
Please help, it's driving me crazy!

What are the Relevant Equations? (that was asked on the Homework Help Template that you deleted when you posted your question...)

What is the equation for the force between two charged particles? What are some equations relating force and work?

You should consider the change in potential energy of the system. (And also use the template) I think after filling out the equations part of the template you would have answered the question for yourself.:smile:

What is the concept of minimum work needed to bring 2 charges from distance infinity?

The concept of minimum work needed to bring 2 charges from distance infinity is a measure of the energy required to move two charged particles from an infinite distance apart to a specified distance. This distance is often referred to as the "reference distance" and is typically chosen to be the distance between the two particles when they are at rest.

Why is it important to calculate the minimum work needed to bring 2 charges from distance infinity?

Calculating the minimum work needed to bring 2 charges from distance infinity is important because it helps us understand the energy required to move charged particles and how this energy is related to the distance between the particles. This concept is also crucial in understanding the stability of atoms, molecules, and other structures that are held together by electromagnetic forces.

What factors affect the minimum work needed to bring 2 charges from distance infinity?

The minimum work needed to bring 2 charges from distance infinity is affected by several factors, including the magnitude of the charges, the distance between them, and the medium through which they are moving. Additionally, the presence of other charged particles in the vicinity can also affect the minimum work required.

How is the minimum work needed to bring 2 charges from distance infinity calculated?

The minimum work needed to bring 2 charges from distance infinity is calculated using the formula W = Q1Q2/4πεr, where W is the work done, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the particles, ε is the permittivity of the medium, and r is the distance between the particles. This formula is known as the Coulomb's law and is based on the inverse-square law, which states that the strength of the force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Can the minimum work needed to bring 2 charges from distance infinity ever be zero?

No, the minimum work needed to bring 2 charges from distance infinity cannot be zero. This is because even if the two particles are initially at rest, there will still be a force of attraction or repulsion between them due to their opposite or like charges. Therefore, some amount of energy will always be required to overcome this force and move the particles from distance infinity to a specified distance.