Miniature Black Holes: Calculating Distance from Person

In summary, the conversation includes a discussion about a problem involving miniature black holes and their gravitational pull on a person on Earth. Solutions are attempted and eventually the correct equation is found, with the added information that these mini black holes may have a longer lifespan than expected.
Gold3nlily

Homework Statement

This problem is awesome! I like this chapter; Its really interesting. I think I just get a little impatient when I can't figure out the answer right away... I appreciate any help.

Miniature black holes: Left over from the big-bang beginning of the universe, tiny black holes might still wander through the universe. If one with a mass of 3 × 1011 kg (and a radius of only 4 × 10-16 m) reached Earth, at what distance from your head would its gravitational pull on you match that of Earth's? Assume free-fall acceleration ag=9.83 m/s2.

Homework Equations

F = (GMm)/r2

G = 6.67x10-11m3/Kgs2
rep = distance to Earth as seen by person
rbp = distance to black hole as seen by person
Me = mass of Earth = 5.96 x 1024 kg
Mp = mass person = not given (probably cancel out somehow)
Mb = mass black hole = 3 × 1011 kg
Rb= radius black hole = 4 × 10-16 m
Re = radius Earth = 6.38 x 106 m

The Attempt at a Solution

want to find distance when forces are equal...
Fep = (G*Me*mp)/rep2
Fbp = (G*Mb*mp)/rbp2
Fep = Fbp

(G*Me*mp)/rep2 = (G*Mb*mp)/rbp2
divide both sides by G and mp
(Me)/rep2 = (Mb)/rbp2

but I am stuck. I think:
rep = distance between Earth and person + Re
and
rbp = distance between person and B.H. + Rb

and I want to solve for "distance between person and B.H." but I don't know "distance between Earth and person". Surely it would be small, but can't be zero... would it just be the radius of the earth? (When I used this in the equation I only got the mass of the black hole as my answer, so I think the equation might be flawed.)

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
This won't be any help, but my distinct impression is that such a black hole would evaporate very quickly (some small fraction of a second) so for one to be still hanging around from the BB is unthinkable.

phinds said:
This won't be any help, but my distinct impression is that such a black hole would evaporate very quickly (some small fraction of a second) so for one to be still hanging around from the BB is unthinkable.

Hmm, that is interesting. Thanks for your input.

I finally figured it out. It was WAY simpler than I thought!

I used F=(G*M)/(r + d)2
set this equation equal to the force of Earth (ag--> 9.83)
Then solved for d (d = variable we are looking for)
Yay!

phinds said:

Evaporation time goes up very quickly with mass. A good approximation for the lifetime of a black hole of mass M is:

[tex] T = 8.40716 \times 10^{-17} \left( \frac{M}{kg} \right)^3 sec [/tex]

For a 3 x 1011 kg mini black hole, that amounts to about 72 billion years!

gneill said:
Evaporation time goes up very quickly with mass. A good approximation for the lifetime of a black hole of mass M is:

[tex] T = 8.40716 \times 10^{-17} \left( \frac{M}{kg} \right)^3 sec [/tex]

For a 3 x 1011 kg mini black hole, that amounts to about 72 billion years!

Neat! :approve:

1. How are miniature black holes formed?

Miniature black holes are formed from the collapse of massive stars, or through the collision of high-energy particles in space. They can also be created artificially in particle accelerators.

2. How do you calculate the distance from a person to a miniature black hole?

The distance from a person to a miniature black hole can be calculated using the formula for gravitational force, which takes into account the mass of the black hole and the distance between the person and the black hole.

3. Are miniature black holes dangerous to humans?

No, miniature black holes are not dangerous to humans. They are much smaller and less massive than regular black holes, and therefore have a weaker gravitational pull. They also evaporate quickly due to Hawking radiation.

4. Can miniature black holes be used for energy production?

It is currently not feasible to use miniature black holes for energy production. The amount of energy that could potentially be harnessed from them is very small and would not be worth the effort and risk involved.

5. How do scientists study miniature black holes?

Scientists study miniature black holes through theoretical calculations and simulations, as well as by observing their effects on surrounding matter and particles. They also use advanced instruments and telescopes to detect any potential miniature black holes in space.