Minkowski spacetime - Overall Distance

In summary, the problem involves calculating the proper distance in four-dimensional Minkowski spacetime between two events, A and B, with components Aμ and Bμ respectively. The proper spacetime distance formula is ds2 = -dt2 + dx2, where dx represents the purely spatial distance and dt represents the difference in time components. The components of the vector Aμ are (t; x; y; z), and the correct equation to solve the problem is ds2 = -dt2 + dx2 + dy2 + dz2.
rachelph
Hi guys,

I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing this problem. The question has no additional information, so I'm stuck. Any help I could get would be appreciated.

1. Homework Statement

In four dimensional Minkowski spacetime an event, A, has components labelled Aμ and another event B has components Bμ. What is the overall proper distance in spacetime between events A and B?

Homework Equations

Proper spacetime distance
ds2 = -dt2 + dx2

Physics news on Phys.org
In that formula you've given, dx represents the purely spatial distance between the two events. In a 3D Cartesian coordinate system we use Pythagoras to work out that dx2 is the sum of the squares of the differences of the three spatial components (aka coordinates). Also, dt is the difference in the time (temporal) components of the two events.

andrewkirk said:
In that formula you've given, dx represents the purely spatial distance between the two events. In a 3D Cartesian coordinate system we use Pythagoras to work out that dx2 is the sum of the squares of the differences of the three spatial components (aka coordinates). Also, dt is the difference in the time (temporal) components of the two events.

Okay, so, from my lecture notes I know that Aμ is a column vector with components (t; x; y; z), where t is the temporal component.
And also ds2 = -dt2 + dx2 + dy2 +dz2 ← Am I wrong to think is this the answer?

rachelph said:
And also ds2 = -dt2 + dx2 + dy2 +dz2 ← Am I wrong to think is this the answer?
That equation is correct. You now need to express it in terms of the components of the vectors given in the question, in order to answer the question.

1. What is Minkowski spacetime?

Minkowski spacetime is a mathematical model that combines the three dimensions of space and the dimension of time into a four-dimensional spacetime. It was developed by Hermann Minkowski in 1907 and is used in the theory of special relativity to describe physical events and their relationships in the universe.

2. How is overall distance measured in Minkowski spacetime?

The overall distance in Minkowski spacetime is measured using the Minkowski metric, which takes into account both the spatial and temporal components of an event. It is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, in which the squared overall distance is equal to the squared spatial distance minus the squared temporal distance.

3. What is the significance of Minkowski spacetime?

Minkowski spacetime is significant because it allows for a unified description of space and time, which was a major breakthrough in the understanding of the universe. It also plays a crucial role in the theory of special relativity, providing a mathematical framework for understanding the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

4. How does Minkowski spacetime differ from Euclidean space?

Minkowski spacetime differs from Euclidean space in that it includes a time dimension, while Euclidean space only has three spatial dimensions. This means that in Minkowski spacetime, the distance between two events can be negative or imaginary, whereas in Euclidean space, distance is always positive and real.

5. Can Minkowski spacetime be visualized?

Minkowski spacetime cannot be visualized in the same way as Euclidean space because it involves a fourth dimension. However, it is often represented graphically using diagrams such as the Minkowski diagram, which show the relationship between time and space in a two-dimensional plane. It is also visualized through mathematical equations and models.