Minors in Electrical Engineering

In summary, a sophomore in Electrical Engineering is considering adding double minors in Physics and Math, but is now reconsidering due to a busy schedule and concerns about their GPA. They are wondering if minors will make a difference when applying for jobs or grad school, and if it would be better to focus on maintaining a high GPA instead. Suggestions have been made to consider another major instead of minors, and the importance of GRE scores, undergraduate attendance, GPA, and research experience in grad school applications has been mentioned. Some graduates recommend focusing on broadening knowledge in EE rather than pursuing minors.
pete5383
Hey everyone. I'm a sophomore in Electrical Engineering, and with the deadline coming up for dropping/adding classes, I was hoping I could get your opinions on some things. I love EE, and I'm loving it more now that I'm getting farther into it. And somehow, my schedule works out such that I will be able to take 1-2 extra classes a semester. So my first thought was to double minor in Physics and Math, so I took three math classes this semester. But now I'm reconsidering...my schedule is pretty tough, and two of the math classes I'm taking are 4000 level classes. I plan on attending grad school after I'm done with my undergrad, so I'm wondering: how much of a difference will minors make when I'm looking for a job/applying to grad school? I feel that if I get the two minors, they might cause my GPA to slip (not to brag, but I'm at a 3.97 now). I'm currently looking for an internship as well. So my question is, what is better; minors, or a good GPA? And are the minors really going to be worth the extra effort? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that everyone in here is going to say that your GPA is more important.
Just curious, what are the math courses?

Well, instead of two minors, I would pick up another major, but that may just be me. Two majors, to me, have more appeal than two minors.

Having served on a graduate selection committee, I'd say that GRE scores, school of undergrad attendance, GPA (both overall and major), and research experience were factored in... before ever looking at double majors or minors.

Grads that I have talked to, some of which went on to grad school, seem to agree that it’s better to broaden your knowledge of EE rather then waste (their word, not mine) your time on other minors.

When I graduate and begin applying for grad schools I will only have a 3.5 overall GPA (and higher for my major GPA) and am hoping my double major will make up for my lack luster GPA.

The math classes I was taking were Differential Equations with Applications, and Applied Linear Algebra. Both would be my second course in each of those subjects.

1. What is a minor in Electrical Engineering?

A minor in Electrical Engineering is a specialized academic program that allows students to gain knowledge and skills in the field of electrical engineering while pursuing a major in a different subject. It typically involves taking a set of courses related to electrical engineering, such as circuits, electronics, and signals and systems.

2. Who can pursue a minor in Electrical Engineering?

Any undergraduate student who is majoring in a different subject and has an interest in electrical engineering can pursue a minor in Electrical Engineering. Some universities may have specific prerequisites or GPA requirements for students to be eligible for this program.

3. What are the benefits of completing a minor in Electrical Engineering?

A minor in Electrical Engineering can enhance a student's resume and make them more competitive in the job market. It also allows students to gain a basic understanding of electrical engineering concepts, which can be useful in various industries, such as technology, telecommunications, and renewable energy.

4. Can I complete a minor in Electrical Engineering if I have no prior experience in the field?

Yes, a minor in Electrical Engineering is designed for students who have no prior experience in the field. The courses included in the program are typically introductory level and do not require any previous knowledge or experience.

5. How does a minor in Electrical Engineering differ from a major in Electrical Engineering?

A minor in Electrical Engineering is a smaller program compared to a major in Electrical Engineering. It requires fewer courses and does not cover the subject in as much depth. A major in Electrical Engineering is a full-fledged program that prepares students for a career in the field and requires a more extensive course load.