Misunderstanding of isomorphism and automorphism

• Thread starter Sumanta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomorphism
In summary: R^3. The theorem states that for a finite separable extension E/F of degree n, there are exactly n embeddings of E in the algebraic closure of E (which is C in this case). These embeddings are monomorphisms from E to C that extend a given embedding of F in C. In particular, if we take the identity function on F, there are exactly n F-monomorphisms of E into C. In your example, you are trying to think of automorphisms as rotations in R3, but it is important to remember that these rotations are not just on R3 but on the field E, which is a larger structure. This is why you
Sumanta
Hello,

I was doing self studying abstract algebra from the online lecture notes posted by Robert Ash and I hit against the following theorem. I am posting it in the topology section because without a geometric/topological meaning to the concept I am never able to understand the topic and that is the reason during my undergraduate days 8 years ago I did not pass in algebra at all.Now for the theorem: Let E/F be a finite separable extension of degree n and let sigma be an embedding of F in C (where C is the algebraic closure of E). Then sigma extends to exactly n embeddings of E in C. In other words there are exactly n embeddings of tau in C such that restriction of tau to F coincides with sigma. In particular if sigma is the identity function on F then there are exactly n F-monomorphism of E into C.The above is reproduced in ditto from Thereom 3.5.2 of R.Ash lecture notes posted on his website.

Now my question.

Let me think of E as R^3 and F as R. Now surely R^3 is the closure of R. (The reason why I have taken R^3 is simply because I am successful in proving the theorem in 2D, using x^2 +1 = 0 and things like that. Now when I tried using x^3 +2 = 0, I understood that I would be getting 6 dimensions of the separable field. )

My hunch would be automorphism could be thought of as vector rotations and hence I thought of coming out with this simple example. Surely having T(a) = a + 1 is an isomorphism but not an automorphism which fixes a.

So I thought of taking the following isomorphisms of a vector .

(x, y, z) ---> (x, y, z) (identity)
(x, y, z) ---> (y, x, z)
(x, y, z) ---> (z, y, x)
(x, y, z) ---> (x, z, y)
(x, y, z) ---> (z, x, y)
(x, y, z) ---> (y, z, x)The above are some kind of transformations I thought which are possible.

If the theorem above is true then at least 3 of the above isomorphisms should not be an automorphism. I am really not sure which 3 of them should not be and why not. I have tried a lot to think but have been unsuccessful.The theorem says that the transformation when restricted to F then it should fix F. Now I could think that since the extension of R^3 is over R hence x should be fixed but I only get 2 automorphisms. The identity and (x, y, z) ---> (x, z, y). Not sure why I am not getting the third one, because the theorem says that E/F is of degree n ( which is 3) and so it should be possible to get solutions of all the polynomials in R^3. So there is sth wrong in my understanding or the way that I am thinking of automorphisms as rotations and missing sth.

I thought about whether a splitting field can have 3 dimensions and found that it could. Consider x^3 + 2 = 0 over F. Now it has got 3 roots. 2 complex one real but even the real does not fall in F. So the extension field is (modelling on R^3 ), x-axis is F, y-axis is (2)^1/3 , z complex root.

Rgds
SM

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sumanta said:
Hello,

I was doing self studying abstract algebra from the online lecture notes posted by Robert Ash and I hit against the following theorem. I am posting it in the topology section because without a geometric/topological meaning to the concept I am never able to understand the topic and that is the reason during my undergraduate days 8 years ago I did not pass in algebra at all.

Now for the theorem: Let E/F be a finite separable extension of degree n and let sigma be an embedding of F in C (where C is the algebraic closure of E). Then sigma extends to exactly n embeddings of E in C. In other words there are exactly n embeddings of tau in C such that restriction of tau to F coincides with sigma. In particular if sigma is the identity function on F then there are exactly n F-monomorphism of E into C.

The above is reproduced in ditto from Thereom 3.5.2 of R.Ash lecture notes posted on his website.

Now my question.

Let me think of E as R^3 and F as R. Now surely R^3 is the closure of R.
What? The algebraic closure of R (the field of real numbers) is C (the field of complex numbers).

(The reason why I have taken R^3 is simply because I am successful in proving the theorem in 2D, using x^2 +1 = 0 and things like that. Now when I tried using x^3 +2 = 0, I understood that I would be getting 6 dimensions of the separable field. )

My hunch would be automorphism could be thought of as vector rotations and hence I thought of coming out with this simple example. Surely having T(a) = a + 1 is an isomorphism but not an automorphism which fixes a.

So I thought of taking the following isomorphisms of a vector .

(x, y, z) ---> (x, y, z) (identity)
(x, y, z) ---> (y, x, z)
(x, y, z) ---> (z, y, x)
(x, y, z) ---> (x, z, y)
(x, y, z) ---> (z, x, y)
(x, y, z) ---> (y, z, x)

The above are some kind of transformations I thought which are possible.

If the theorem above is true then at least 3 of the above isomorphisms should not be an automorphism. I am really not sure which 3 of them should not be and why not. I have tried a lot to think but have been unsuccessful.
Since an automorphism on a field is simply an isomorphism from the field to itself, all of those are automorphisms on R3. But how are you making R3 a field? How are you defining multiplication?

The theorem says that the transformation when restricted to F then it should fix F. Now I could think that since the extension of R^3 is over R hence x should be fixed but I only get 2 automorphisms. The identity and (x, y, z) ---> (x, z, y). Not sure why I am not getting the third one, because the theorem says that E/F is of degree n ( which is 3) and so it should be possible to get solutions of all the polynomials in R^3. So there is sth wrong in my understanding or the way that I am thinking of automorphisms as rotations and missing sth.

I thought about whether a splitting field can have 3 dimensions and found that it could. Consider x^3 + 2 = 0 over F. Now it has got 3 roots. 2 complex one real but even the real does not fall in F. So the extension field is (modelling on R^3 ), x-axis is F, y-axis is (2)^1/3 , z complex root.

Rgds
SM

Hi,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes C is the closure of R. Since I was trying to think geometrically so I thought a similar thing is possible in R^3 vs R.

So if E is not R^3 but say the field generated by the linear combination of the roots the solution of x^3 - 2 = 0. and the field F is Q then will this be true. One can visualize that each of the axes of R^3 will be somehow similar to the field generated by each of these roots. Surely the name suggests that it is a normal extension so this kind of a mental picture intusion is prob OK. Still willing to be proved wrong.

Not sure about the point why if C is a field which is like R^2, then R^3 probably cannot be a field.

Last edited:

Related to Misunderstanding of isomorphism and automorphism

1. What is isomorphism and automorphism?

Isomorphism and automorphism are concepts in mathematics and computer science that describe the relationship between two structures. Isomorphism refers to the existence of a one-to-one mapping between the elements of two structures, while automorphism refers to a mapping from a structure to itself that preserves its structure.

2. What is the difference between isomorphism and automorphism?

The main difference between isomorphism and automorphism is that isomorphism describes the relationship between two structures, while automorphism refers to a mapping within a single structure. Additionally, isomorphism requires a one-to-one mapping, while automorphism allows for a one-to-many mapping.

3. How can isomorphism and automorphism be applied in real-world situations?

Isomorphism and automorphism have various applications in different fields such as chemistry, physics, and computer science. In chemistry, isomorphism is used to study the structure of molecules, while automorphism is used to analyze the symmetry of crystal structures. In computer science, these concepts are used in graph theory and group theory to analyze the structure of networks and data structures.

4. Can isomorphism and automorphism exist simultaneously?

Yes, isomorphism and automorphism can exist simultaneously. In fact, an automorphism is a specific type of isomorphism, where the two structures being mapped are the same. However, not all isomorphisms are automorphisms, as an isomorphism can also exist between two different structures.

5. What are some common misconceptions about isomorphism and automorphism?

One common misconception is that isomorphism and automorphism are the same thing. As discussed, while they are related concepts, they refer to different types of mappings. Another misconception is that isomorphism and automorphism only apply to mathematical structures, when in fact they have many real-world applications as well.