Optimal Number of Passengers for Maximum Railroad Revenue

• Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the number of passengers that will produce the greatest income for a railroad if a special car is hired. The formula for the income is incorrect and the correct formula is determined to be R= 12n- 0.1n^2. By finding the derivative of R, it is determined that n= 60 will produce the maximum total revenue.
courtrigrad
Hello all

I am not sure whether I understood this problem:

If 40 passengers hire a special car on a train, they will be charged $8.00 each. For each passenger over the 40 this fare is cut by $0.10 apiece for all passengers. (eg 50 passengers would pay $7.00 each). How many passengers will produce the greatest income for the railroad?

My solution

(18 + 0.1n)*n = I(x)

I ' (x) = 18 - 0.1n - 0.1n

= -0.2n + 18
-0.2n = -18
n = 90

Is this correct?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula for the income isn't right. For one thing, the price increases when n becomes larger. How'd you get the 18?

BTW: I is a function of n, not x.

Is it (40 + n) ( 8 - .1n) the function?

courtrigrad said:
Is it (40 + n) ( 8 - .1n) the function?

If n is the number of passengers over 40, yes. (Of course, the question asks for the total number of passengers, so you'll have to adjust...)

"If 40 passengers hire a special car on a train, they will be charged $8.00 each. For each passenger over the 40 this fare is cut by $0.10 apiece for all passengers. (eg 50 passengers would pay $7.00 each). How many passengers will produce the greatest income for the railroad?"

If the number of passengers, n, is greater than 40 then the cost will be 8- 0.1(n-40)= 8- 0.1n+ 4= 12- 0.1n.

The total revenue to the railroad would be R= (12- 0.1n)n= 12n- 0.1n2.

R'= 12- 0.2n which will be 0 at an "extremum". 12- 0.2n= 0 when 0.2n= 12 or n= 60.

Clearly R'> 0 when n< 60 (for example 12- 0.2(59)= 0.2) and R'< 0 when n> 60 (for example 12- 0.2(61)= -.2) so R' is decreasing so there is a maximum at n= 60 will produce the maximum total revenue.

Related to Optimal Number of Passengers for Maximum Railroad Revenue

What is a "misunderstanding of problem"?

A misunderstanding of problem refers to a situation where an individual or group fails to accurately interpret or comprehend a problem or issue. This can lead to incorrect assumptions, solutions, or actions being taken.

What are some common causes of misunderstanding of problem?

Common causes of misunderstanding of problem include lack of information, biased perspectives, miscommunication, and preconceived notions.

How can a misunderstanding of problem be identified?

A misunderstanding of problem can be identified through careful analysis and evaluation of the problem, as well as open and honest communication with all parties involved. It is important to actively listen and consider different perspectives to avoid misunderstanding.

What are the potential consequences of a misunderstanding of problem?

The consequences of a misunderstanding of problem can vary depending on the severity and context of the situation. It can lead to incorrect solutions being implemented, confusion, conflict, and ultimately hinder progress towards finding a resolution.

How can a misunderstanding of problem be avoided?

To avoid a misunderstanding of problem, it is important to gather all relevant information, actively listen to different perspectives, and engage in open and honest communication. It can also be helpful to use critical thinking and consider multiple solutions before making a decision.