1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MIT Physics Degree Requirements

1. Jul 5, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone. I'm very interested in learning physics. I did physics for two years in High School but dropped it on the last year. Currently I am doing a International Business Degree in NZ. I'm posting here because I have questions about how to form a physics degree at MIT. The reason I'm doing this is because I want to do the MIT challenge in 2 years. The idea behind this is in this video

Here is the degree chart - http://web.mit.edu/catalog/degre.scien.ch8.html

My problem is that I've only jotted down 16 papers. What are GIR? Can someone post here a typical physics degree at MIT?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

GIR = General Institute Requirements

The page that you linked to has a search box. If you type "GIR" in it, the very first link that comes up explains them in detail.

4. Jul 5, 2015 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

It should be noted for those not familiar with higher education in the US, that MIT's GIR system is far from unique. US universities in general (at least I can't think of any exceptions) all require their bachelor's degree students to take a certain number of courses outside their "major field." These are more commonly called "General Education Requirements." The details vary between different universities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook