MIT Physics Degree Requirements

In summary, the speaker is interested in learning physics and wants to do the MIT challenge in 2 years. They have a degree in International Business and are seeking advice on how to form a physics degree at MIT. They have only jotted down 16 papers and are unsure about the General Institute Requirements (GIR). The speaker provides a link to the degree chart and asks for a typical physics degree at MIT. GIR are the General Institute Requirements, which are common in US universities. The speaker is directed to a detailed explanation of GIR on the linked page.
wuwi9989
Hi everyone. I'm very interested in learning physics. I did physics for two years in High School but dropped it on the last year. Currently I am doing a International Business Degree in NZ. I'm posting here because I have questions about how to form a physics degree at MIT. The reason I'm doing this is because I want to do the MIT challenge in 2 years. The idea behind this is in this video

Here is the degree chart - http://web.mit.edu/catalog/degre.scien.ch8.html

My problem is that I've only jotted down 16 papers. What are GIR? Can someone post here a typical physics degree at MIT?

Physics news on Phys.org
GIR = General Institute Requirements

The page that you linked to has a search box. If you type "GIR" in it, the very first link that comes up explains them in detail.

It should be noted for those not familiar with higher education in the US, that MIT's GIR system is far from unique. US universities in general (at least I can't think of any exceptions) all require their bachelor's degree students to take a certain number of courses outside their "major field." These are more commonly called "General Education Requirements." The details vary between different universities.

1. What are the basic requirements for obtaining a physics degree at MIT?

The basic requirements for obtaining a physics degree at MIT include completing a set of core physics courses, as well as a certain number of laboratory courses. Students are also required to take courses in mathematics, including calculus and differential equations.

2. Are there any specific GPA requirements for obtaining a physics degree at MIT?

Yes, students must maintain a minimum GPA of 4.0 in all physics courses and a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 in order to obtain a physics degree at MIT.

3. Can I transfer credits from another institution to fulfill my physics degree requirements at MIT?

Yes, students may transfer up to two courses (with a maximum of 12 units) from another accredited institution to fulfill their physics degree requirements at MIT. However, these courses must be pre-approved by the physics department.

4. Are there any elective courses I can take to fulfill my physics degree requirements at MIT?

Yes, students have the option to take up to two elective courses in other fields of science, engineering, or mathematics to fulfill their physics degree requirements at MIT. These courses must be approved by the physics department.

5. Can I substitute a course for one of the required core physics courses at MIT?

In rare cases, students may petition to substitute a course for one of the required core physics courses at MIT. This petition must be approved by the physics department and must demonstrate that the substitute course covers the same material at a similar level of rigor.