How are mobile phones transformed into remote controls?

• Thread starter craze4physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mobile
In summary, a phone can be turned into a remote control using either IR data transfer or using the phone itself as a modem.
craze4physics
how are phones made to work like remote? i have heard of many innovations like mobile operated robots mobile operatd water pumps... could'nt figur out how the circut is made?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The most straightforward way would be to put a phone in the thing that you want to control. Then just call that phone, and control away. It would take a little extra software in both cell phones, but as you say, people are doing this already.

From the other side of it, many mobile phones have IR data transfer and can thereby be converted into TV remotes and the like.

If you want to mount the phone on something then you will need to use the phone as a modem and write the appropriate software on your device and at your controlling station.

any idea wat kind of software it needs? i need some more detailed replies nyways thanks berkeman and chayced

a friend of mine did this as his final year project (mech eng dit)
he had two phones and he built a robot.
one phone went into the robot. this phone had a small board attached to it with some digital outputs on it (switches) which were hooked up to the robot.
when he rang the phone the robot automatically answered, then he could use the keypad to control the robot, (i'm not sure if its called a dtmf contoller?)
the cool thing was that the robot also had a video camera on it that would feed into the phone so that john could leave the robot anywhere, dial it up and could then see where the robot was and manouver it around the room.
it was pretty cool one day as i was working on my own project the robot suddenly came to life and started to move around the room, it came over to where i was and "looked" at me before returning to its corner. john then sent me a text message stg like "hey james i see your working away on your project, I'm still in bed but i'll be in in the afternoon"
that was pretty cool!

1. How does a mobile phone act as a remote?

A mobile phone can act as a remote by using its built-in infrared or Bluetooth technology to communicate with other devices. The phone can send signals to the device, allowing you to control it from a distance.

2. What types of devices can a mobile phone control?

A mobile phone can control a variety of devices such as televisions, DVD players, sound systems, home automation systems, and more. This depends on the compatibility of the device and the capabilities of the mobile phone.

3. Can any mobile phone be used as a remote?

No, not all mobile phones have the necessary technology to function as a remote. Some older phones may not have infrared or Bluetooth capabilities, while some newer phones may not have the necessary software or apps to control devices.

4. Is using a mobile phone as a remote safe?

Generally, yes, using a mobile phone as a remote is safe. However, it is important to be cautious when downloading remote control apps and only use trusted sources. Additionally, make sure to keep your phone and its software updated to avoid any security risks.

5. Can multiple devices be controlled by one mobile phone?

Yes, as long as the phone has the necessary technology and compatible apps, it can control multiple devices. However, some devices may require specific apps or software to be controlled, so it is important to check compatibility before attempting to use a mobile phone as a remote for multiple devices.