Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modding Gamecube controller. Help

1. Apr 4, 2007 #1
    I want to make a modded GameCube controller for "Super Smash Bros.: Melee"

I play the game fairly competitively, going to tournaments here and then. It would be very helpful if I could have a "short-hop" button. This would hopefully be implemented on the y button.

What this button needs to do is, when pressed, send a short jolt of current, then stop as soon as it registers that I press the button, but no longer. This way, I could press the button and hold it, but the game would sense it as me just tapping it.

I once helped my friend build a DDR pad using a PSX controller, but that's about the only electrical experience I've had. I know the very basics, but no more.

How hard would this be to accomplish? Would it be easy to do?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2007 #2
    that kind of seems like an unfair advantage having a souped up controller, though i don't see a short hop on SSB as that advantageous. I'll just pretend this is for experimental purposes and not cheating.

but functionally, it sounds like a job for a one shot, a device that has a pulse of HIGH to LOW (or LOW to HIGH) for a specific amount of time, determined by some capacitors

4. Apr 5, 2007 #3
    This will definitely NOT be used in tournaments. I'm definitely 100% for fair play. I probably should have clarified that.

I just think it'd be a fun project to do. :D

5. Apr 5, 2007 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, a one-shot is your answer. You could probably connect the new button in parallel with the old one, too.

- Warren

6. Apr 6, 2007 #5
    Great. Thanks. I'll look in to that.

This is just going to be something that's soldered on between the existing circuitry and the button?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?