Closed loop stabilization control - integrator circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a system to maintain the current position of a large platform with two electric motors. The use of an angular rate of rotation sensor (gyro) as a feedback sensor is suggested, and the concept of using an integrator circuit to control the motors is mentioned. Suggestions for implementing this system, including using a PID controller or a locking brake, are also discussed. There is also mention of using a professional approach for designing the control system and the need for more information about the platform's motors and gyro.
opmal7
Hello all.

I have a platform that is controlled by two electric motors (one for elevation, one for rotation). During the application, I would like to have the platform maintain it's current position. I'm imagining a system where you set the position manually, and then press a button that will tell the platform to hold its current position. This is a relatively large platform with large external forces acting on it, so the motors will need to be driven to correct for changes in the platform's position.

I have an angular rate of rotation sensor (gyro) mounted on the platform. I would like to use this gyro as the feedback sensor for the system. Since the gyro outputs the angular rate of rotation (dθ/dt), if I take the integral of the gyro signal over time, and set the integral to zero, the final position will be equal to the initial position:

∫dθ/dt (from 0 to t) = θ(t)-θ(0)
If ∫dθ/dt=0, θ(t)=θ(0) (Hence, final position equal to initial position)

This is where I'm hoping some electrical engineers can help out. I seem to remember designing integrator circuits in college, but that was some time ago. Are there components I can use to take the integral of the gyro signal? Is there a way to hold the value of the integral at 0 over time?

I'm looking for any feedback. This concept seems simple to me, but if it would be difficult to implement I'm open to suggestions of another path to explore. Thanks for any and all feedback!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Analog integrators can be made using reactive components. It might have been better if you searched the internet for "integrator circuit" before posting.

As for designing the entire close loop control system, perhaps this would be better accomplished by someone who better understands how to design a control system, especially considering the mass, cost, and potential danger that I associate with your equipment. I think the entire system should be modeled mathematically before implementation.

opmal7 said:
I have a platform that is controlled by two electric motors (one for elevation, one for rotation). During the application, I would like to have the platform maintain it's current position. I'm imagining a system where you set the position manually, and then press a button that will tell the platform to hold its current position. This is a relatively large platform with large external forces acting on it, so the motors will need to be driven to correct for changes in the platform's position. ...

I have an angular rate of rotation sensor (gyro) mounted on the platform. ...

A proportional–integral–derivative controller (PID controller) may be something to look into. What are your motor specs?

would just a locking brake do?

you have a platform to be fitted with a gyro,and want to control 2 motors to change x-y direction.

what you need a controller with two individual outputs (suitable for the drive of the motor) it is little tricky - as drives for ordinary DC motor to specilized Variable frequency drives are possible with positiner.

And the Gyro sensor to be connected to controller as process variable.

you can make your own P only controller out of opamp with a resitor slider for giving Set point to the inverting input to opamp.and another slider in feedback for gainchanging.

The output circuit should be a converter to drive the motor.

But this is ameaturist approach.

There is a better approach as professinal.but I will tell you more if you give me the details of your existing platform motors and gyro.and your intended project.

1. What is closed loop stabilization control?

Closed loop stabilization control is a control system technique used in engineering and science to maintain a desired output of a system by continuously monitoring and adjusting the input. It involves the use of a feedback loop, where the output is measured and compared to the desired output, and then the input is adjusted accordingly to minimize any errors.

2. What is an integrator circuit in closed loop stabilization control?

An integrator circuit is a type of electronic circuit that performs mathematical integration, which is the process of summing up the total area under a curve. In closed loop stabilization control, an integrator circuit is used to integrate the output of the system and provide a continuous feedback signal to the controller, allowing for precise adjustments to be made.

3. How does closed loop stabilization control improve system stability?

Closed loop stabilization control improves system stability by continuously monitoring and adjusting the input based on the output. By doing so, any disturbances or errors in the system can be quickly corrected, leading to a more stable output and better overall system performance.

4. What are the advantages of using closed loop stabilization control?

Some advantages of using closed loop stabilization control include improved system stability and accuracy, increased control over the system, and the ability to compensate for disturbances or changes in the system. It also allows for easier integration of new components or changes in the system design.

5. Is closed loop stabilization control used in any real-world applications?

Yes, closed loop stabilization control is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including robotics, aerospace engineering, process control systems, and electrical power systems. It is also commonly used in feedback control systems for electronic circuits, such as motor control and voltage regulation.