Would a Falling Hot Coal Still Burn Someone on the Ground?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether coals thrown off the roof of a building during a BBQ would still be hot enough to burn someone at the bottom. The approach to modeling the problem is described, considering factors such as wind, air temperature, and the initial temperature of the coal. The use of the heat equation and steady state boundary conditions is also discussed. The possibility of the coal still undergoing combustion while falling and its effects on temperature is also brought up.
Xian
So a sadistic friend of mine posed this question:
If we were to have a bbq on the roof of this building, and threw the coals off of the roof, would it still be hot enough to burn someone at the bottom?

Of course this question can be thought of in two ways: a) would the surface still be hot enough at the bottom or b) would the interior be hot enough at the bottom (since the coals would probably break, its a relevant question).

At the time I couldn't figure out how to model the problem, but now here's my approach:

Model the coal [itex]C[/itex] as some compact 3-dimensional subset of [itex]R^{3}[/itex]. Assume that the wind relative to the ground is negligible, that the air temperature is consant, and that the initial interior temperature of the coal is uniform. Let [itex]h[/itex] be the height of the building, let [itex]\alpha[/itex] be the thermal diffusivity of the coal, let [itex]T_{air}[/itex] be the temperature of the air, and let [itex]T_{0}[/itex] be the initial temperature of the coal.

Here's a big assumption, since the air in contact with the coal will be replaced by fresh air at temperature [itex]T_{air}[/itex] as the coal falls, we will model the temperature of the falling coal by the heat equation with steady state boundary conditions. More specifically we will have [itex]T(x,y,z,0)=T_{0}[/itex] in [itex]C[/itex] and [itex]T(x,y,z,t)=T_{air}[/itex] on the boundary [itex]\partial C[/itex] and let the temperature evolve for a duration of [itex]\sqrt{2h/g}[/itex] (the fall time) under the heat equation, [itex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}-\alpha\nabla^2 T = 0[/itex].

Is this a good model? I can already see where a few problem would arise. First of all, I'm concerned that the mathematics of heat transfer between two materials is more subtle than I assumed. Moreover, I'm worried that my assumption that air rushing past the coal can be treated as a steady state boundary condition is also wrong. If anything though, I think that final temperature distribution for the coal under this model would underestimate the real life solution at all points (is this fair?). I look forward for any comments, and eventually look to try to solve this for specially shaped coals (cubes, spheres, etc).

Physics news on Phys.org
If the hot coal is still undergoing combustion when it is thrown off the roof it may actually be hotter when it reaches the ground. Moving through the air it will continually be leaving behind CO2 and moving into air with more O2, somewhat like blowing on an ember makes it heat up.

Interesting, I didn't consider that. How can one tell if the coal is still undergoing combustion? And let's assume that its no longer combusting. In that case, how's the model look?

1. How can I model the motion of a falling hot coal?

To model the motion of a falling hot coal, you can use the principles of projectile motion and heat transfer. This involves considering the initial velocity and angle of the coal's trajectory, as well as its mass, size, and temperature. You will also need to account for the effects of air resistance and thermal radiation.

2. What factors affect the modeling of a falling hot coal?

The factors that affect the modeling of a falling hot coal include its initial velocity and angle, mass, size, temperature, air resistance, and thermal radiation. Other factors may also come into play depending on the specific scenario, such as wind speed and direction, surface conditions, and surrounding temperature.

3. Can I use a simple model to represent a falling hot coal?

While a simple model may be sufficient for some scenarios, it is important to consider all relevant factors when modeling a falling hot coal. Neglecting certain factors may lead to inaccurate results. It is best to use a more comprehensive model that takes into account as many variables as possible.

4. How accurate are the results from modeling a falling hot coal?

The accuracy of the results from modeling a falling hot coal depends on the complexity and thoroughness of the model used. In general, the more factors that are considered and the more accurate the input data, the more accurate the results will be. However, there may still be some degree of error due to unpredictable factors.

5. What are the practical applications of modeling a falling hot coal?

Modeling a falling hot coal can be useful for a variety of purposes, such as predicting the trajectory and final location of a coal that has been accidentally dropped, determining the potential hazards of working with hot coals, and understanding the effects of environmental factors on the motion and cooling of a falling hot coal. It can also aid in the design and improvement of safety protocols for handling hot coals.