Cooling of a cup of hot chocolate

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cup of hot chocolate and its temperature changing over time. The equations relevant to solving the problem are also mentioned, including the heat equation and boundary conditions. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of solving the problem and the potential use of standard techniques for solving the heat equation.
Pigkappa

Homework Statement

A cup of hot chocolate of radius r and height H is completely full. The density ρ and specific heat C of chocolate are known. The cup is very well insulated so that heat is only exchanged with the outside room from the open top. The chocolate is initially at temperature T0, the outside room is kept at temperature Tr, the temperature of the chocolate at the top and bottom of the cup are called Tt and Tb and they vary with time. Assume the heat flow from the air to the cup is [tex]F_t = - K_t \pi r^2 (T_t - T_r)[/tex]. Assume the heat flow inside the cup is [tex]\vec F = - k_i \pi r^2 \vec \nabla T[/tex]. Note that Kt, ki have different units.

How do Tt and Tb depend on time?

2. Where is this problem from?
I thought of this problem while wondering how long the chocolate on my desk would take to cool. It looked easy at first and when I tried to do it I found it harder than expected. I expected it would just be a matter of writing an energy balance, but I soon found myself deriving the heat equation with what looked like fairly nasty boundary conditions (BCs). I haven't been doing physics in a while so your guidance in solving it would help. Also, do tell me if the assumptions in the problem are nonsensical.

3. Relevant equations, attempt at a solution
The following may be irrelevant because if you don't know the heat equation, you won't be able to help me with this, and if you know the heat equation, you probably don't need to see it derived again.

Take a small layer of chocolate between heights h and h + dh. The energy balance will be (energy in) - (energy out) + (delta internal energy) = 0.

(energy in) is [tex]- k_i \pi r^2 \frac{\partial T(h, t)}{\partial h}[/tex].
(energy out) is [tex]- k_i \pi r^2 \frac{\partial T(h + dh, t)}{\partial h}[/tex] in the interior, [tex]- K_t \pi r^2 (T_t - T_r)[/tex] at the top.
(delta internal energy) is [tex]\rho C \pi r^2 dh \frac{\partial T}{\partial t}[/tex].

Put the three together and you'll get the heat equation in the interior, a weirder equation at the top. We could just look at this as the heat equation with a messy BC the top. The easiest way to frame this BC for me is to say that the total internal energy changes just because of the exchange at the top: [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \int_0^H{T(h, t) C \rho \pi r^2 dh} = - K_t \pi r^2 (T(H, t) - T_r)[/tex]. The other BC is [tex]T(h, 0) = T_0[/tex] for any h.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not set up quite correctly. The heat balance on the section between ##h## and ##h+\Delta h## should be:

[tex]- k_i \pi r^2\left( \frac{\partial T}{\partial h}\right)_h-\left[- k_i \pi r^2 \left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial h}\right)_{h+\Delta h}\right]=\rho C \pi r^2 \Delta h \frac{\partial T}{\partial t}[/tex]
If we divide by ##\Delta h## and take the limit as ##\Delta h## approaches zero, we obtain the transient heat conduction equation:
$$\rho C\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}=k_i\frac{\partial^2T}{\partial h^2}$$

The boundary condition at the top, ##h=H## is: [tex]- k_i \pi r^2 \left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial h}\right)_{h=H}=K_t \pi r^2 (T - T_r)[/tex]or[tex]k_i \left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial h}\right)_{h=H}=-K_t (T - T_r)[/tex]

Thank you. I thought about it for a while and I agree.

I haven't been solving PDEs for a long time. Could the 1 dimensional heat equation with this type of BC be solved by standard techniques?

Pigkappa said:
Thank you. I thought about it for a while and I agree.

I haven't been solving PDEs for a long time. Could the 1 dimensional heat equation with this type of BC be solved by standard techniques?
No problem.

What is the process of cooling of a cup of hot chocolate?

The process of cooling of a cup of hot chocolate is a transfer of heat from the hot chocolate to its surroundings. This transfer of heat causes a decrease in temperature of the hot chocolate and an increase in temperature of its surroundings.

Why does a cup of hot chocolate cool down?

A cup of hot chocolate cools down because of the second law of thermodynamics, which states that heat naturally flows from a warmer object to a cooler one. As the hot chocolate is in contact with the cooler air, heat is transferred from the hot chocolate to the air, causing it to cool down.

How does the material of the cup affect the cooling process?

The material of the cup can affect the cooling process of a cup of hot chocolate. Materials like metal and glass are good conductors of heat, meaning they allow heat to pass through them easily, resulting in faster cooling of the hot chocolate. On the other hand, materials like plastic and Styrofoam are poor conductors of heat, so they insulate the hot chocolate and slow down the cooling process.

What factors can affect the rate of cooling of a cup of hot chocolate?

The rate of cooling of a cup of hot chocolate can be affected by various factors such as the temperature difference between the hot chocolate and its surroundings, the material and thickness of the cup, the humidity and air flow in the surrounding environment, and the initial temperature of the hot chocolate.

How can we speed up the cooling process of a cup of hot chocolate?

To speed up the cooling process of a cup of hot chocolate, you can use a material with high thermal conductivity, such as a metal cup, to transfer heat away from the hot chocolate faster. You can also place the cup in a cooler environment or use a fan to increase air flow and promote heat transfer. Adding ice cubes or stirring the hot chocolate can also help dissipate heat and cool it down faster.