Modeling Hydraulic Brake Behavior

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a deformed foil, a rotating disk, and the resulting friction force. The foil, which is bent by pressure, comes into contact with the disk and causes a braking torque. To model this system, the coefficient of friction and the radius of the disk must be determined. Questions are raised about the brake activation, pressure applied, and speed of the disk rotation.
Andrea Vironda
TL;DR Summary
Relation between deformed foil and friction force
Summary: Relation between deformed foil and friction force

Good morning everyone,
i have a small leaf or steel that is bent from one side by a Pressure of many bars.
in front of the leaf there's a rotating disk, separated by the leaf by a small gap.
this leaf, as it deforms, wins the gaps and touches the disk, causing a breaking torque.

I wish to have a first step model in order to study this system. I don't know how to link the pressure with the torque i get.
i have drawn up a scheme as an attachment

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 261
Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to find the coefficient of friction between the two materials that are touching and the radius of the rotating disk to calculate the braking torque. How is the brake activated and how hard is it being pressed against the disk? Is it metal against metal? Are you bending that tab toward the disk? Are you looking for application force or braking torque, or both? How fast is the disk rotating?

1. What is the purpose of modeling hydraulic brake behavior?

The purpose of modeling hydraulic brake behavior is to simulate and predict the performance of a hydraulic brake system under various conditions. This can help engineers and designers optimize the design of the brake system and ensure its safety and effectiveness.

2. What factors are typically included in a hydraulic brake behavior model?

A hydraulic brake behavior model typically includes factors such as the properties of the brake fluid, the geometry of the brake components, the force applied by the brake pedal, and the friction between the brake pads and rotors. Other factors such as temperature and wear may also be considered.

3. How accurate are hydraulic brake behavior models?

The accuracy of hydraulic brake behavior models can vary depending on the complexity and level of detail included in the model. Generally, simpler models may provide a rough estimate of brake behavior, while more complex models with more variables and parameters can provide more accurate predictions.

4. How are hydraulic brake behavior models validated?

Hydraulic brake behavior models are typically validated through experimental testing, where the predicted behavior is compared to the actual performance of a real brake system. This can help identify any discrepancies and improve the accuracy of the model.

5. What are some applications of hydraulic brake behavior modeling?

Hydraulic brake behavior modeling is used in various applications, including the design and development of new brake systems, optimization of existing brake systems, and testing and analysis of brake performance in different scenarios. It is also used in the automotive industry to ensure compliance with safety regulations and standards.