Optimizing Oil Spill Cleanup: Minimizing Costs with Additional Crews

In summary, the oil company responsible for a 200-mile oil spill has been given 14 days to clean it up or face a fine of $10,000 per day. The local clean up crew can scrub 5 miles of beach per week at a cost of $500 per day. Additional crews can be brought in at a cost of $800 per day plus a one-time fee of $18. To minimize costs, the company should bring in (n-1) crews, where n is the total number of crews needed to clean up the shoreline in exactly 14 days. The formula for the total cost, c(n), is 500t + (18+800t)(n-1) when t>14 or n
SMA_01
An oil spill has fouled 200 miles of shoreline. The oil company responsible has been given 14 days to clean up the shoreline, after which a fine of $$10/day$ will be imposed. The local clean up crew can scrub 5 miles of beach per week at a cost of $500/day. Additional crews can be brought in at a cost of $18 plus $800/day for each crew. How many additional crews should be brought into minimize the total cost to the company?

I'm supposed to use these variables:

n= total number of crews, including the local crew

n_0=number of crews required to clean up the shoreline in exactly 14 days

t= number of days to clean up the oil spill

c= total cost (measured in thousands of dollars)

t=the amount of the fine (measure in thousands of dollars)

I'm stuck on this, I am having difficulty putting the pieces together. I'm supposed to find a formula for t in terms of n, t(n).

How can I relate the number of days to finish the job to the number of crews? How can I find the number of additional crews with my given variables?

I know that if t>14 or n<n0, then they will have to pay a fine...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SMA_01! :wink:

Do it step-by-step …

call the number of crews "n"

write the equation for the time it will take (as a function of n)

then write the equation for the cost (as a function of n) …

show us what you get. :smile:

Likes 1 person
tiny-tim,

Thanks, I got

t(n)=280/n

c(t)=500t+(18+800t)(n-1), n>=20
c(t)=500t+(18+800t)(n-1)+10(t-14)

Hi SMA_01! :wink:

That looks good. :smile:

Now substitute your formula for t(n) into your two formulas for c(n).

(and don't forget the 280/n has to rounded up to the nearest whole number)

1. How does adding more crews help with oil spill cleanup?

Adding more crews allows for a faster and more efficient cleanup process. With additional crews, more areas of the spill can be targeted simultaneously, reducing the overall cleanup time and minimizing the spread of the oil.

2. Does adding more crews increase the cost of the cleanup?

While adding more crews may increase the initial cost of the cleanup, it can ultimately lead to cost savings in the long run. By reducing the time it takes to clean up the spill, the overall cost of the cleanup can be minimized.

3. How many additional crews are needed to optimize the cleanup process?

The number of additional crews needed to optimize the cleanup process depends on various factors such as the size of the spill, the type of oil involved, and the location of the spill. A thorough assessment of these factors is necessary to determine the ideal number of crews needed.

4. What is the role of technology in optimizing oil spill cleanup?

Technology plays a crucial role in optimizing oil spill cleanup. Advanced equipment such as drones, remote-operated vehicles, and satellite imagery can help identify the extent of the spill and guide the cleanup efforts. Additionally, technology can aid in tracking the movement of the spill and determining the most effective cleanup strategies.

5. Are there any potential challenges with adding more crews for oil spill cleanup?

There may be potential challenges with adding more crews for oil spill cleanup, such as coordination and communication issues, as well as safety concerns. It is important to have a well-defined plan and proper training in place to address these challenges and ensure the safety and efficiency of the cleanup process.